Hindustan Unilever, RB & ITC top advertisers in March: TAM Adex

In March 2020, news genre witnessed a drop of 2% and recorded a total 29% share in ad volume as compared to 31% in February

e4m by exchange4media Staff
Published: Apr 17, 2020 8:12 AM  | 3 min read

In the month of March, television witnessed dramatic changes in terms of both viewership and ad volumes. During the COVID-19 period, the total TV consumption has recorded all-time high growth every week but that might not have translated into the ad volumes on the medium. As the country is under lockdown for over a month now, the economy has come to a grinding halt.

Many businesses suffering financially have started cutting down on ad spends. Though post 13 March, the effects of the pandemic started unfolding in India, the month had not seen much drop in ad volumes as most of the advertising deals were signed till 31 March 2020.

In February 2020 in the top five categories based on ad volumes, toilet soaps led the chart with 6% of ad volume share followed by toilet/floor cleaners with 4%, toothpastes with 3% bagged the third spot in top five categories. Washing powders/ liquids and shampoos were at number four and five with a share of 3% each. Whereas in march 2020, toilet soaps category dropped by 1%and category registered a growth of 5%. Ecom-media/ entertainment/social media category replaced toilet/floor cleaner at the second spot and recorded a 5% share. Other categories like washing powders/ liquids and shampoos didn’t see any growth and decline in the share while toothpastes category saw a fall of one per cent in share as compared to February.
Hindustan Unilever was among the top five advertisers for February 2020 with the highest percentage share of 14% in ad volume followed by Reckitt Benckiser India with 8% share and ITC with 3% share. Cadburys India and Brooke Bond Lipton India stood at fourth and fifth spot with the share of 3% and 2% respectively.

In March 2020, Hindustan Unilever continued to be the leading advertisers in terms of ad volume with the same 14% share followed by Reckitt Benckiser India in the second position but the advertiser saw 1 % decline in share as compared to February. ITC was at number three with the same percentage share. Similarly, Brooke Bond Lipton India percentage share remained unchanged at 2%. Colgate Palmolive India is the new advertiser entered in the top with 2% share.

Top 10 brands for February 2020 were, Axis Bank, Harpic Bathroom Cleaner, Moov Advance Diclofenac Gel, Tresemme Keratin Smooth, Surf Excel,, KIA Carnival, Strepsils Orange and Duracell Chotta power. Whereas, Fair & Lovely Advanced Multivitamin, Yamaha Street Rally 125Fi/Cygnus Ray, Honda Activa 6g, Fortune Food Product Range, Asian Paints Smartcare Damp Proof, Voot Select, Oppo Reno Pro3, Lifebuoy Range and Sunsilk Black Shine were the top ten brands of March 2020.

In February, news genre registered the highest ad volume share with 31% whereas, in March 2020, GEC emerged as the leading genre with a 29% share of ad volume. News genre dropped by 2% and registered 29% share of ad volume. The movie genre saw a rise in ad volume as compared to the previous month and saw a growth of 2%. Music category share remains unchanged with 12% whereas kids genre saw a 1% growth in March and contributed 4% share.

Read more news about (ad news, latest advertising news India, internet advertising, ad agencies updates, media advertising India)

For more updates, be socially connected with us on
Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube