Wavemaker: IPL 2018 expected to reach 17 mn overtaking last year's tournament
Wavemaker analyses social media conversations that happened around IPL season 11 from 7th April to 4th May 2018
Published - May 9, 2018 8:55 AM Updated: May 9, 2018 8:55 AM
Wavemaker, the media, content and technology agency, has analyzed the social media conversations that happened around IPL season 11 from 7th April to 4th May 2018. The analysis has been done by Wavemaker Mesh - the marketing command center. The social conversations measured impact of IPL 2018 in India region. Social mentions on Twitter (Tweet/ RT/ Reply), Facebook (Post/ Comments/ Shares), Instagram, YouTube, Blogs, Forums, Google+, Online news, Mainstream news, consumer forums, etc were considered for the analysis. A detailed keyword analysis is conducted to identify social chatter around various aspects of IPL 2018.
Some of the key highlights of the report are as follows:
• With CSK and Rajasthan Royals back in the game, the popularity and excitement is off the roof. Last year we witnessed 6.2 million social buzz for the entire 2017 season. This year we are only half way through and have already clocked almost 10 million social buzz, surpassing 2017 by 4 million already. This is extraordinary growth in buzz and popularity and we estimate the social buzz to reach 17 million by the end of the tournament, almost 3X of 2017.
• After 2 years of exile, Chennai Super Kings make their come back with a bang, emerging as the buzziest team this IPL season followed by Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers Bangalore. Last year’s favourite Kolkata Knight Riders slips to the fourth position.
• Amongst players, MS Dhoni continues to be the most talked about player. Last year, Dhoni had 0.5 million social buzz around him by end of season. This year his popularity has already grown many folds with him garnering almost 1.08 million mentions. Dhoni and CSK complement each other well and fans can’t stop chanting #whistlepodu & #yellove every time they are mentioned.
• Fans from Delhi city contribute to maximum chatter this IPL season (37%) followed by Tamil Nadu (18%) and Maharashtra (11%).
• Though Vodafone is not the official sponsor this IPL season (breaking a 10-year-old partnership), it still manages to emerge as the buzziest brand on social media this IPL season so far, followed by official sponsor Vivo and competition brand Jio.
• Vodafone’s ZooZoo campaign continues to be popular and the most awaited campaign amongst fans. Vodafone also emerges as the most watched ad on digital this year – Unofficial Sponsors of Fans, followed by Coca Cola – Share a Coke and Tata Motors’ series of videos promoting Nexon.
IPL 2018 is mid-way but its popularity does not seem to be slowing down. At 9.9mn conversations, IPL 2018 is the most buzzing IPL year in the past decade. Already overtaking IPL 2017 with 26 matches still remaining. The total tournament buzz is expected to reach 17 mn this year, 3X times 2017. With knockouts taking place in matches to come, the popularity seems to increase each day, more fan engaging campaigns by brands, etc.; by the looks of it, this IPL season is going to be one of the most exciting seasons of IPL till date.
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube