Case Study: Analysing Maruti’s Cricket Maharathi mobile campaign
Maruti’s Cricket Maharathi campaign on mobile for Maruti Suzuki Corporate and SX4 helped create great brand salience for the auto major. The campaign, woven around IPL and ICC Cricket World Cup, built association for Maruti with cricket ratings on mobile in a non-intrusive and interactive manner. A look at how this campaign achieved such phenomenal success.
Marketer: Maruti Suzuki
Brand: Maruti Suzuki Corporate and SX4
Maruti Suzuki is the largest automobile company in India. Maruti has traditionally built its brands via various media, and through on ground and on air sponsorships for cricket. The communication with the consumer has ceased to be a one way street – consumers are now an active part of any brand’s creation process. They’ve been empowered by devices like mobile, which is slowly gathering steam to become a media device and not just a communication device.
The total number of mobile Internet users in India stands at 150 million. A lot of brands are hence using mobiles to embellish their media presence. Through this activation, Maruti (who has used mobiles in a big way over the last three years) was looking at a unique way of reaching out to their target audience.
Maruti wanted a platform that actively engages its consumers in an interactive and entertaining manner.
1. To tap the mobile medium’s reach and interactivity capabilities to engage users in a unique and entertaining manner
2. To leverage Maruti’s association with cricket during the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011, followed by the IPL Season 4
Given the objectives that Maruti was driving, Affle conceptulaised Cricket Maharathi - A first-of-its-kind user-generated mobile cricket rating system. While most cricket ratings are driven by expert reviews and complex stats, this activation sought to give an opportunity to the average cricket fan that has an opinion and wants to voice it.
The Cricket Maharathi contest was open for participation for each game of the World Cup, followed by the IPL Season 4. The contest was implemented in the following manner:
• Users give points to players based on their performance for a match on a defined scale (1-10 points). These ratings add to cumulative scores for players
• Capping on Points - Users are limited to making 20 votes each day, at 5 points per vote
• New teams each day - After each match, the players list gets refreshed and users give points to a fresh set of 15 players from each team.
• Users earn points for various actions – Rating Players; Referring friends, predicting the Man of the Match and Match Winner etc. Users get highest points when the points given by them to a particular player, matches the average points given to that player by all users in the contest
• Both Player Points and User points are maintained through Affle’s Leaderboard technology on the respective rankings pages
• The Top ranked Player is crowned the Maharathi and top scoring users qualify for weekly/overall prizes
Cricket Maharathi was launched at the start of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 (Feb 19th to April 2nd) and was continued during IPL Season 4 (April 8th to May 28th)
• To ensure that mobile users have access to Cricket Maharathi, the content was made available on:
1. Mobile internet destination (http://m.cricketmaharathi.com)
2. Mobile Application across all platforms – iPhone, Android, Blackberry & Java
3. Integration on the largest messaging media in India – Affle’s SMS2.0
4. Contest promotion across Top Mobile Operator & Sports portals
• The mobile application was distributed on popular application download destinations like – airtel app store, TATA app store, iTunes, Android Market Place, Blackberry App World, Nokia OVI Store, GetJar, Mobango and others
• Maruti was integrated across each touchpoint on the mobile site and mobile app and also across all the 15 mobile media properties where the contest was promoted
• Over 6 million engagements
• 15 per cent engagements from user referrals
• Over 45,000 app downloads in four weeks with 4 & 5 star ratings and reviews on all app stores
The primary objective of this campaign was to build association for Maruti with cricket ratings on the mobile, in non-intrusive and interactive manner. As a result of the phenomenal success of this campaign, Maruti plans to continue their association with Cricket Maharathi for a longer period now.
For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube