Row over IPL3 coverage flares up, channels not to cover matches
The row over restricted coverage guidelines for the Indian Premier League (IPL) Season 3 tournament has further heated up with the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) stating that it would not be able to offer viewers any coverage in relation to IPL or its proposed matches.
The row over restricted coverage guidelines for the Indian Premier League (IPL) Season 3 tournament has further heated up with the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) stating that it would not be able to offer to viewers any coverage in relation to IPL or its proposed matches.
In a statement issued on February 16, 2010, the NBA said: “In 2008 the IPL/SET MAX had drawn up a set of norms for use of cricket footage of IPL matches, in negotiation and agreement with NBA, which has been followed ever since. However, the NBA regrets that at a meeting held on February 16, 2010, the IPL/SET MAX have arbitrarily refused to abide by their commitment as contained in the 2008 norms.”
NBA further said: “Inconvenience caused to our viewers by this unreasonable commercial approach of IPL/SET MAX is regretted.”
IPL3 has been courting controversies for some time now. exchange4media had earlier reported how the ‘Media Accreditation and News Access Guidelines’ issued for coverage of IPL3 matches had irked the Indian media because of the severe restrictions that come along with these guidelines.
In fact, a few days back, the Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF) had asked the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to intervene in the stand-off between IPL authorities and the Broadcasters with immediate effect.
To recap, the IPL guidelines allow news channels to air only 30 seconds of fresh footage per regularly scheduled news bulletin, subject to a maximum of 120 seconds of fresh footage per match in a day. The overall limit for use of footage shall be not more than seven minutes for the entire day, that is, the footage from a single match, not exceeding 120 seconds aggregate duration, it cannot be repeated more than three times during the entire day in regularly scheduled news bulletins. The footage is permitted for use only in regularly scheduled news bulletins and not in special programming created for the purpose of and centered around any match.
The use of live footage is not permitted at any time and under any circumstances. There will be a minimum of 30 minutes delay from the live telecast. Live for this purpose shall include the period from the first ball to the last ball of any match and will extend to the post-Match presentation ceremony.
The use of archival footage is limited for news purposes and will not be used for any non-news or commercial purpose, including by way of special programming created for the purpose of and centered around any match. Failure to abide by these Guidelines might lead to cancellation of accreditation by the IPL, apart from any other action as per applicable law.
IPL authorities have laid down guidelines even for the photographs in newspapers, magazines and even websites. The accredited photographer can create only still photographic pictures of a match for editorial use on or in print media, websites and so on, provided that they appear as still images and that the still images are used only for bonafide editorial purposes and are not used for any commercial purpose.
These restrictive guidelines apart, Shiv Sena has threatened to not allow Australian players to play in Mumbai in light of the attacks on Indians in Australia.
Moreover, now the Al Qaeda has issued warnings that it would strike at the IPL matches, along with other major sporting events in India.
IPL3 is being heavily promoted as the ‘homecoming season’, after the tournament was played in South Africa last year. However, given these controversies, this homecoming might not be all that sweet.For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube