Indian media tablets market sales touch 1.1 mn units in Q3 2012
Over 100 per cent growth expected in 2013 as OEMs eye India market for consumer, enterprise demand, and government business, says CyberMedia Research
The overall tablets market in India recorded sales of 1.1 million units in 3Q (July-September) 2012. In the overall India tablets market, Samsung led with a 23.9 per cent share, followed by Micromax at second position with 15.3 per cent share and Datawind at third position with a 12.3 per cent share, in terms of sales during 3Q (July-September) 2012.
India Quarterly Media Tablets Market: 3Q (July-September) 2012*
*Source: CyberMedia Research (CMR) India Quarterly Media Tablets Market Review for 3Q 2012, December 2012
** Excludes sales of Aakash tablets to Govt. of India
The India Quarterly Media Tablets Market Review for 3Q 2012, December 2012 by premier IT, Telecoms, Semiconductor & Electronics, Government, Energy, Lifesciences and User research firm CyberMedia Research said here today that in a very short span of time the India Tablets market has become one of the key drivers of data and content consumption in the country.
This is apparent from the fact that close to 135 vendors have launched their Tablets till 3Q 2012. The ASV (Average Sales Value) of Tablets in India during 3Q 2012 was approximately Rs 13,200, while 63.5 per cent of all sales were below the Rs 10,000-mark.
According to Faisal Kawoosa, Lead Analyst, CyberMedia ResearchTelecoms Practice, “A majority of the tablets currently on offer have built-in Wi-Fi connectivity with 3G access enabled through a USB dongle. However, going forward, increased penetration of 3G networks, declining ASVs of 3G-enabled Media Tablets and launch of BWA (4G / WiMax / LTE) services in the country is likely to see a rise in 3G-only Tablet devices with larger screen sizes.”
“This trend is expected to give a fillip to new types of data services and content being demanded and consumed by subscribers, which in turn will drive a further increase in adoption of Media Tablets in India."
Tablet PC market outlook for 2013
The Tablet PC market is increasingly becoming one of the most dynamic consumer electronics product categories in India. Year-on-year the form factor has surprised the industry with the highly visible adoption, uptake and usage. For the year 2013, CyberMedia Research (CMR) expects the following to be the highlights of the India Tablet PC market:
• Windows 8 based Media Tablets will be the main highlight in the market. In 2013, India will witness Tablet PCs being made available on MS Windows 8 from all leading OEMs. This is expected to bring about several changes in market dynamics such as OS shares, ASVs, etc.
• Enterprises will see increasing adoption of Tablet PCs as part of the larger trend towards mobility. So far enterprises have been trying to understand the role of Tablets in the enterprise space. Through 2012, at different forums industry leaders were seen deliberating upon several industry vertical-focused use cases of Tablets and these are expected to be implemented in 2013. With BYOD an increasing reality, this implementation will very likely to gain an impetus across verticals.
• At least a few OEMs are expected to announce LTE / LTE-ready Tablets for the India market in 2013. Though we haven’t seen many Tablets announced yet supporting LTE worldwide, but India, rightly poised at the juncture of an LTE 'big bang' can be an attractive destination for players who can meet the expectations of Indian customers across segments. Tablets are expected to gain traction as the preferred device for first time computing enthusiasts and for those seeking high data consumption applications over LTE networks.
• There could be some cleansing in the market for sub-INR 5,000 Tablets. 2013 is likely to see some of the players in this segment closing shop due to lack of market acceptability and increasing expectations of consumers, where these devices are bound to fail.
• 2013 will see markets crystallise around three price points for the India Tablet PC market. These will be INR 5,000-10,000; INR 15,000-20,000 and over INR 35,000. Some vendors might have to undertake price corrections to fit their devices within these three price segments, to serve the market aptly and participate in these high-volume price levels.
• According to CyberMedia Research estimates, total shipments for the India Tablet PC market are expected to close at 3 million units in 2012. Further, the market is expected to increase by at least 100% in 2013 (double the number of units sold in 2012). The key drivers for this are a large number of launches by OEMs eyeing the India consumer market for mobile computing and data communication products, as well as the demand expected to be generated via enterprise adoption of Tablets. In case large deals are announced by vendors for supplies to the central / state governments for distribution to university, college and high school students, the forecast number of Tablet sales for 2013 could easily exceed 6 million units.
Read more news about (internet advertising India, internet advertising, advertising India, digital advertising India, media advertising India)For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube