Advertisers boycott YouTube again over inappropriate content
YouTube has faced advertiser boycotts in the past, including a widespread boycott in early 2017
Published - Feb 25, 2019 6:40 PM Updated: Feb 25, 2019 6:40 PM
YouTube is once again at the receiving end for showcasing inappropriate content. Though such incidents have taken place in the past too, this time it was triggered when a video from a popular YouTuber showcasing children was subject to inappropriate comments.
Soon after the incident came to light, several companies, including AT&T and Nestle pulled out advertisements from YouTube. In response to the latest findings, YouTube said it took “immediate action” removing comments or disabling them altogether on some videos, and reporting bad actors to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
The company also sent a special memo addressing child safety to its major advertising partners where it promisesd additional safety features on the horizon.
Nestle and Fortnite maker Epic Games said they paused ads on YouTube so that the company could work on the issue. As per AT&T, the ads will stay removed until YouTube could “protect our brand from offensive content of any kind”.
YouTube has faced advertiser boycotts in the past, including a widespread boycott in early 2017. Since then YouTube has made efforts to be more transparent about how it deals with offensive comments and videos on its site.For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube