Week 13, a blockbuster for DD: Zapr report
According to Zapr’s report - ‘Changing TV viewership pattern in India – Week 13’, while TV viewership has jumped over 26% in the last 4 weeks, the week in question has surpassed all expectations
Zapr, a media-tech startup, has released its latest report the ‘Changing TV viewership pattern in India – Week 13’ which analyses the consumption of TV patterns in the second week of the total lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The report, exclusive to exchange4media, states that: “As viewers get accustomed to the lockdown coupled with lack of new content on TV, there seems to be a plateauing of reach and Time spent by viewer (TSV) across genres.”
Commenting on TV consumption in Week 13, Amit Gupta, Chief Business Officer, Zapr Media Labs, says, “The first two weeks of the national lockdown have been about a massive increase in TV viewership across the country with news channels and kids genre stealing a march in Week 12 and DD amassing audiences in Week 13 with the re-telecast of epics Ramayana and Mahabharata. It will be interesting to see how Week 14 shapes up with every major channel including sports having announced re-telecast of popular shows and games. Viewers will be spoilt for choice and Week 14 should see a lot of flux in viewership across genres, channels and time bands.”
“For advertisers, the weekly change in viewership landscape and at that magnitude has made media planning very difficult. Timely, granular and trustworthy TV viewership data will be key to driving ROI on their media spends over the next few weeks,” he added.
According to the report, while TV viewership increased over 26% in the last 4 weeks, Week 13 (Week 13 is 28th March to 3rd April) data beats all expectations and previous week trends.
The key highlights of the ZAPR report are
• Reach of TV (across the day) increased marginally in week 13 by 2.5%, but TSV continues to spike 7.3% over last week
• Hindi GEC is up 28%, but the growth is spurred by DD1 and DD Bharati, which seem to the biggest growth drives across all channels and genres
• 1000+% increase in reach for DD1 and DD Bharati, with metros contributing the highest, is the biggest highlight from week 13
• Cross screen platform comes to live with % of Distracted TV audience (those who watch TV and are on mobiles simultaneously) increasing by 9%
Genre Level Analysis: Hindi
• Volatility of viewership spike continues in Hindi Genre
• While Entertainment has seen a massive spike overall, most channels see a drop in reach
• The Hindi Genre has seen a massive spike in reach thanks to DD.
• Entertainment has seen a 28% increase in the reach; Music reach increased by 4 % and movies has seen a 7% increase in reach.
• However, Business News saw a 32% down drop in the reach.
• All major channels in the genre have seen a drop in viewership as they run out of new content to telecast.
• All channels have planned reruns from Week 14 to stem the slide.
• With other networks struggling with content novelty Zee Cine Awards 2020, ensured an increase in reach for Zee TV and Zee Cinema
DD: A Blockbuster Week
The biggest gainer is the national broadcaster DD, which has single handedly driven spike in reach in Hindi Entertainment and is the standout broadcaster for the week. DD National has started re-telecast of its cult classic shows such as Ramayana, Mahabharat – which has garnered record-breaking viewership
• 135% Reach achieved by DD1 during weekday morning slots, highest in any genre
• DD National owns time bands in which it runs its re-telecast of popular shows
• Metros seem to be driving the highest reach increase for DD, with over 3000% increase; followed by 1M and 1L towns
• Southern TV viewership still continues to grow strong
• However, Flip flop for Regional GECs continues – Down in Week 11, Up in Week 12 and Down again in Week 13
• Colors Bangla comes out to be the only gainer among regional GEC channels
Rajni’s Magic Works
• Discovery Tamil’s Into The Wild with Bear Grylls with Rajnikanth has worked wonders.
• There has been approximately 50% Spike in TSV on Discovery Tamil
• Rajnikanth's episode of 'Into the Wild with Bear Grylls' delivered the highest rated TV show in the genre this year
News Genre: English News Down by 30%
• A Changing pattern from last three weeks, News genre sees a decline in viewership and TSV
• For the first time since week 9, News seems to have dipped across languages, with English news taking the biggest hit – down 30%
• 8% Drop in reach of Regional news and 7% Drop in reach of Hindi news
English Genre: A Mixed Bag
• English Genres beat the trend of last 3 weeks, with drop or marginal change in reach across time bands
• Flip flop in English genre keeps advertisers guessing
• Entertainment sees a 7% drop in the reach while Business News saw a 21% drop in the reach
• Music saw a 3% increase in the reach and Movies saw a 5% increase
Sports Genre: Big Gains
• The Sports genre has seen an uptrend after two weeks.
• The English sports genre with smart content changes of airing famous wins by Indian Cricket team has shown an uptake in week13 over week 12
• Sports has seen 21% increase in the reach and 26% increase in TSV
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube