TRAI releases recommendations on interoperability of set top boxes
The regulatory authority has been engaging with the stakeholders for quite some time for introducing set-top box interoperability
- All set top boxes in India must support technical interoperability in principle.
- MIB may include a suitable clause/condition in the permission/ registration/ Cable Television Network Rule mandating all the DPOs to compulsorily facilitate service provisioning through the interoperable STBs either provided by DPOs or procured by consumers from open market.
- There are technical and commercial constraints to universal STB. Therefore Interoperability of STBs with effect from the date as prescribed vide the extant clause/condition, shall be ensured within the DTH cable segment.
- MIB may notify through licensing conditions or amendment in Cable Television Network Rules 1994 as per the Cable Television Network (Regulation) Act, 1995 or through any other appropriate mechanism mandatory use of DVB C+ 2.0 standards (with USB CAM) as per ETSI TS 103 605 standards both for DTH STBs and STBs being used by MSOs from a prospective date.
- A time of six months may be given to both DTH operators and MSOs to adopt DVB CI Plus 2.0 standards with (USB CAM) as per ETSI TS 103 605 standards from the date of MIB notifications. MIB may also coordinate with BIS so that suitable amendments are brought within this time frame
- The authority recommends mandatory provisioning of USB port based Common Interface for all digital television sets in India.
- Setting up of Coordination and Implementation Committee.
Read more news about (internet advertising India, internet advertising, advertising India, digital advertising India, media advertising India)For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube