RAM all set to boost radio advertising across 9 additional cities
RAM is all set to boost radio advertising across 9 additional key commercial Indian cities, which are - are Ahmedabad, Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Nagpur and Pune.
RAM (Radio Audience Measurement), launched by TAM Media Research in 2007 for the Radio industry, is all set to boost radio advertising across nine additional key commercial Indian cities. Those nine additional cities are Ahmedabad, Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Nagpur and Pune. RAM has released its first set of findings basis sweeps in these cities basis Universe Establishment Study and Panel based Respondent data collected during May-August 2011. For the last 4 years, RAM operated out of the four Indian metros – Bangalore, Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai.
This study comprised two steps:
Step 1 (May-June 2011):
• Radio Establishment Survey
• Defining & Updating the Reporting Universe for RAM
• Ascertain factors that influence radio consumption
• Help in setting the sampling frames for the panel setup
Step 2: (July-August 2011):
• Panel Recruitment, Counseling & Reporting
• Random, stratified sampling will ensure robust representation
• Dedicated & Experienced panel counseling and management team will deliver the highest quality through respondent compliance.
This initiative by RAM will help the Radio industry - Broadcasters & Media Planning Agencies, to assess the impact that Radio medium is having on Audiences in towns other than the major Metros. Given the favorable response from across the industry, RAM will continue to undertake the next sweeps during February-March 2012.
Commenting on this release, LV Krishnan, CEO, said, “Our commitment to take RAM beyond the four metros has fructified. This time, the RAM roll out is much wider and deeper. These 9 cities will throw light to Advertisers the interaction Radio is bringing to their Consumers and also help Broadcasters fine tune their basket of programming to these Audiences. This will help propel higher commercial viability for the industry at large. As always, we will work very closely with the Industry to help them understand the dynamics of this very high potential communication and brand building medium from these markets as well. Like in 4 RAM metros earlier, we believe that in these 9 metros too, RAM’s entry will boost the Radio advertising investments.”
Radio ADEX data reflects a very positive change that RAM has brought about in the Radio Advertising scenario ever since its launch in 2007. If one looks at 4 metros (Bangalore, Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai) advertising numbers for the period of January-June 2011 and compare it with the same period in the year of RAM launch in 2007, the following highlights emerge:
• Ad Duration volume grew by 87%
• New advertisers entered which resulted in an increase of 42% in the advertiser base
• The number of brands participating in Radio Advertising grew by 45%
The study offers very interesting trends about Radio listenership or consumption behaviour between the different cities. Some highlights are:
• The universe size of the newly added 9 markets is an impressive 50% of the existing 4 RAM markets (Bangalore, Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai).
• Southern markets observe higher FM penetration as compared to northern markets.
• On an average, there is 95% FM universe has been reached in a week across all the markets.
• Chennai and Jaipur observe 100% weekly reach.
• Time spent listening among the 9 new markets is comparatively more than the existing 4 metro markets.
• Markets like Nagpur and Jaipur observe 28.29 (hh:mm) and 24.05 (hh:mm) time spent on a weekly basis.
• While majority of the newly added 9 markets observe heavy In Home listening, OOH (out-of-home) listening in existing 4 metros market is higher compared to new markets.
• Indore and Lucknow observe least OOH listening among the new RAM markets.
• Majority of the new markets have heavy composition from male audiences whereas existing Mumbai and Kolkata market witness substantial composition from female audiences.
• Listenership in Northern cities like Delhi and Jaipur are skewed towards higher SECs. Market like Nagpur and Kanpur are skewed towards lower SECs.
• Morning time band observes highest listenership contribution across the day.
• Indore market observes highest listenership contribution from Mid Morning time band
• Listenership contribution on Saturday and Sunday are higher for the new markets whereas in the existing markets Saturday observes least contribution
TAM is a joint venture between Nielsen Company & Kantar Media Research. Besides measuring TV Viewership, TAM also monitors Advertising Expenditure of Television, Print & Radio through its division AdEx India. Since 2004, it extended its presence in the PR Measurement & Analysis space for Corporate/Marketing Clients by setting up a separate division – Eikona PR Measurement.
In 2007, the joint venture introduced RAM (Radio Audio Measurement) service to track Radio Listenership for the Indian Radio Broadcast Industry. In year 2009, TAM launched a division, called TAM Sports that specializes in monitoring Sports Sponsorship ROI.
TAM Media Research’s objective is to fuel media insights that will drive the growth of the Indian Media Industry.For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube