Govt writes to radio operators, accepts TRAI's recommendations
Written communication from I&B ministry to AROI says TRAI's recommendations for Phase III migration will be accepted. Radio industry waits for public announcement; invitations for technical bids likely to go out next week
Published - Aug 22, 2014 8:49 AM Updated: Aug 22, 2014 8:49 AM
The government has written to the Association of Radio Operators of India (AROI) and radio operators, informing them that TRAI’s recommendations on Phase III migration will be accepted. However, a public announcement is yet to be made.
Uday Chawla, Secretary General, AROI said, “The ministry (Ministry of Information and Broadcasting) has indicated in writing that the TRAI recommendations on Phase III migration have been accepted.”
Some of these recommendations include increasing the license period to 15 years and reducing the base price of migration fees. Chawla confirmed that the government letter accepts most of these recommendations, and the migration fee will now be decided as per the TRAI formula post the auctions.
TRAI releases Phase III recommendations, agrees with broadcasters on most points
Though the letter was sent out last week, the wary radio industry hopes there will be a public announcement to allay their lingering fears. TRAI had submitted its recommendations in February this year and though verbal assurances have been provided by officials for some time, this is a first concrete proof of the government's willingness to accept the recommendations.
FM Phase III auction set in motion with MIB likely accepting TRAI's proposals
It has also been learnt that the government will invite pre-qualification or technical bids from radio operators wishing to expand under Phase III from next week. This was confirmed by an industry member, who said that the tender invitations scheduled for this week, are likely to go out next week.
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube