Kerala newspaper vendors end strike

The month-long strike, demanding a hike in commission, by newspaper vendors in Kerala has been called off today

e4m by Abid Hasan
Updated: Apr 26, 2012 8:21 AM
Kerala newspaper vendors end strike

Newspaper distribution in Kerala has been affected for the past one month. Newspaper agents were on a strike demanding a hike in commission. The strike mostly affected Cochin, Kozhikode and other parts of Kerala. The strike has been called off today.

Commenting on this situation, Varghese Chandy, Senior General Manger, Malayala Manorama said, “The demands of newspaper vendors have no logic. They were getting 27 per cent commission on every paper but now they are demanding 35 to 40 percent. They have also mentioned that the number of pages of a newspaper can’t exceed 16 and no supplements will be distributed.

Although 90 per cent of the vendors came back to enable circulation within a week of the strike, the remaining 10 per cent were missing. This was creating problems among the advertisers and readers.

“Advertisers were very unhappy with the strike. Now that it has been called off, sales will increase, revenues will go back to original projection and reader-connect will be stable,” said Chandy.

None of the newspapers pushed the vendors to call the strike off.

For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube