Guest Column: Simplicity is the secret ingredient: Manika Juneja, AVP – Operations, WATConsult
If you have ever seen a competitor’s campaign and thought ‘why didn’t I think of this?’ you need to follow these seven steps towards simple and effective campaigning
Published - 26-August-2017
I am sure most of us who have watched the first Kung Fu Panda movie, enjoyed Po’s quest to find answers to questions like what’s inside the Dragon Scroll? What’s the secretingredient to my Dad’s Noodle Soup recipe?
Well, the answer was right there in front of his eyes. In this creative day and age, we as the human race are forced to think out of the box. In the midst of the chaos and rush to come up with ideas, most of us end up missing the simple facts which can lead to big ideas. I am sure the thought, “why couldn’t I think of it?” has crossed everyone’s mind when they see a beautiful yet simple campaign done by other brands.
Simplicity - Identify the essential. Eliminate the rest.
An idea that is simple, not bundled with multiple complexities and strikes an emotional chord with the audience has the potential to go viral. Now, how does one come up with the idea of what’s the secret ingredient? With all the data, complex technologies and exciting formats, we have to engage people in the language they can connect with.
1. Begin the process by defining the objective that you want to achieve out of aparticular campaign.
2. Identify a key insight which is crucial to get a head start in the right direction. This will
help you stay right on track in the gambit of the brainstorming processes.
3. Come up with a creative idea and message which will help you achieve your objective in the simplest manner.
4. Think of the most appropriate platform(s) to implement the idea. It could be Digital, Social, AR, VR, App, Video etc.
5. Ensure your messaging is integrated with the overall communication piece and you
don’t sound disconnected.
6. Explore the potential by testing waters with a sample set closest to your TG. Studyhow receptive they are towards the idea and messaging. Are they inclined towards ashorter form of content or does long form work for them? Do we need to serve them a series of videos or is the message getting lost in translation if we are opting for thisroute? Ask questions and take their feedback.
7. Be open towards making necessary iterations, by repeating the above steps, to makethe campaign apt for the end consumers without compromising the simplicity andcreativity.
Many times, we elongate the task as we obsess over the wrong data and are distracted by
noise. But when we look in the right place and follow the right approach, then perhaps we
have an observation that helps us achieve better results.
PS: The secret ingredient here is the simplicity of the idea, execution and more importantly
the pursuit to leave a lasting impact! #InnerPeace
The author is the AVP – Operations at WATConsult.
Disclaimer: The views expressed here are solely those of the author and do not in any way represent the views of exchange4media.com.
For more updates, subscribe to exchange4media's WhatsApp Channel- https://bit.ly/2QUdLCK