S-Group Insights: 2-wheelers overtake 4-wheelers on TV in ad volumes in 2014
The 4-wheeler segment was expected to lead the chart in 2014, but heavy TV advertisement from players like Hero, TVS Motors, & Honda Motorcycles helped the 2-wheeler segment to come out as the new TV ad volume leader in the automobile sector
exchange4media.com and Strategy Group, the Analytical Arm of TAM Media Research, jointly bring you a weekly column 'S-Group Insights' on Advertising Trends of different Product Categories. This column will be published every Tuesday and aims to aid Advertisers, and Media Agencies understand changes in Media Consumption patterns leading to Scientific Advertising Investments. In the current column, we take a look at the automobile segment.
The story began in 2011; when the 4 wheeler (Auto- Cars/Jeep) segment dominated the automobile sector for TV Ad Volumes with a share of 50%. Come 2012 the 4 wheeler domination continued with the Ad Volume share of 45%. Year 2013 saw some growth in 2 wheeler segment but was not enough to dethrone 4 wheelers from the top position. The 4 wheeler segment was expected to lead the chart in 2014 as well, but heavy TV advertisement from players like Hero, TVS Motors, & Honda Motorcycles helped the 2 wheeler segment to come out as the new TV ad volume leader in the Automobile Sector, a sector which has a share contribution of around 5.15 % of Volumes on TV & 9.31 % Print ( 2011-14).
- Within Auto Sector, Auto - Cars/Jeeps & Auto-2 Wheelers has an advertising share of 74 % on TV, and around 85 % on Print making them the most important category for analysis. On Print, the last 4 years have seen a growth in ad volumes for the 4 wheeler category with an average growth rate of 4.21 % whereas, 2 wheeler category which was growing at an average rate of 73% in the year 2012-13 has seen a dip of 0.40% in the year 2014.
Zone wise on Print, North zone has consistently been the leader registering on an average 34% of the ad volume share for both the categories. However, the zone has seen a steady decline of 7.41% for the 2 wheeler category.
Quarter 4 seems to be the most inventory heavy quarter for the category on Print over the last 4 years. Except for Quarter 4, the print ad volumes always peak at the end of the quarter.
- On TV, 2 wheeler category has seen a gradual growth with on an average of 35% from year 2011 to year 2014. As compared to 2013, the 4 wheeler category has seen a drop of 14% in 2014.
- In terms of TV Ad volumes, Hindi News is the most preferred channel Genre followed by English News for 4 wheeler category .Hindi News continuous to be the first preference for the 2 Wheelers with Music genre gaining the 2nd Position.
- On TV, for the 4 wheeler category, 55% of the ad volumes within the Hindi News Genre is done in English language.
- The overall TV Ad Campaign for both the categories registered higher promo GRPs for the higher Age Group (45+) and SEC A as compared to other Age Groups and SECs for the year 2014. On TV the 2 & 4 wheeler advertisers have burnt almost equal Promo GRPs on both the Genders.
- Year 2014 has seen the 2 wheeler segment overtake Auto-Cars/Jeep segment on TV in terms of Ad Volumes. With Quarter 4 around the corner it would be interesting to see whether 2 wheelers will continue to maintain their lead or Auto-Cars/Jeep regains their top spot in TV Ad Volumes for Automobile sector.
Source: TAM Media Research, analysis conducted by S group, an analytical arm of TAM Media Research
Data Sources: TAM AdEx
Period: Jan - Dec 2011 to 2015
Read more news about (internet advertising India, internet advertising, advertising India, digital advertising India, media advertising India)For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube