Ranveer & Deepika- The next power couple for brands?
Guest Column: In the past, Bollywood power couples have always been the first choice among brands in India says Pranay Swarup
Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh (read: DeepVeer) have tied the knot on November 14 after they took to social media, last month, to announce their wedding dates. The wedding officially marks their entry into an exclusive club of ‘Power Couples’ which includes the likes of Anushka Sharma-Virat Kohli, Ajay Devgan- Kajol, Akshay Kumar- Twinkle Khanna and Saif Ali Khan-Kareena Kapoor.
By definition, a power couple is a relationship consisting of two individuals who are each successful and influential in their own right. Companies use these couples to gain mass awareness for their brands and products. Brands are aware that consumers and fans show a keen interest in staying up to date with celebrity relationships. They play to this consumer insight by creating campaigns that feature influential couples. And by tapping into a power couple’s reach and impact, brands can target each partner’s unique following and voice.
In the past, Bollywood Power Couples have always been the first choice among brands in India. This is evident when we look at Anushka-Virat who have appeared and boosted reach for Indian ethnic-wear brand Manyavar, Ajay-Kajol for Lifebuoy, Akshay-Twinkle for PC Jeweller and Saif- Kareena for Metro Shoes, respectively.
Interestingly, Deepika and Ranveer currently work with brands that have conflicting interests. Here are 5 Rival brands that Ranveer and Deepika have endorsed in the past:
1. Make My Trip V/S Go Ibibo Over the course of 2018, Ranveer Singh has appeared in multiple Make My Trip ads, along with Alia Bhatt. Meanwhile, Deepika Padukone is the brand ambassador of Go Ibibo, another app which lets you plan your travel.
2. Oppo V/S Vivo Amid intense competition in the smart-phone industry, Deepika and Ranveer are seen endorsing Oppo and Vivo respectively.
3. Kotak Mahindra V/S Axis Bank In the banking space, Ranveer Singh was appointed as the brand ambassador of Kotak Mahindra Bank earlier this year, while Deepika Padukone has been the brand ambassador of Axis Bank since 2014.
4. L’Oreal V/S Head & Shoulders Deepika, in 2017, was announced as the global ambassador of beauty brand LOréal Paris, joining the likes of Jane Fonda, Blake Lively, and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Whereas, Ranveer became the face of anti-dandruff hair-care brand Head & Shoulders in 2016.
5. Asian Paints V/S Nerolac Deepika Padukone has been closely associated with Asian Paints, while Nerolac Paints roped Ranveer Singh as their brand ambassador.
Now, this raises a question; will their past associations affect their future endeavors together? We think not. According to us, between Deepika and Ranveer, there could be three entities, two of them would represent both of them individually and one together as a power couple. The stars could then continue their individual endorsements and take up new businesses together.
Both Deepika and Ranveer have a strong individual impact on consumers and the wedding will only scale up their brand value as a couple. For brands that are trying to target young married couples and youth alike, the combined brand value of DeepVeer would prove to be a very lucrative and tempting opportunity.
Ranveer and Deepika have a combined following of close to 90 million fans on social media. They are the new celebrity royalty couple after Virat-Anushka, we can expect to see them coming together to endorse brands in the clothing, jewelry, fitness, luxury, and home products space
(The author is the Co-Founder and CEO of Chtrbox)
Disclaimer: The views expressed here are solely those of the author and do not in any way represent the views of exchange4media.com.
Read more news about (internet advertising India, internet advertising, advertising India, digital advertising India, media advertising India)For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube