Know Your Cannes Juror: Manish Bhatt in Direct Lions
Shouting <em>‘Bharat Mata Ki Jai’</em> loudly – Manish Bhatt on five things he is looking forward to <em>@Cannes</em>
Jury Member of Direct Lions
Founder Director, Scarecrow Communications, India
Five things that Manish Bhatt looks forward to as a Cannes Juror
1) There are 2357 entries in Direct Category at Cannes Lions this year. So, I am going to watch 2357 AVs, where every AV is going to end with amazing results/response comprising two million YouTube hits, six thousand Facebook likes, 29 per cent increase in footfall and 18 per cent increase in brand recall. To boost my stamina to listen to the same thing again and again and again, I am going to buy the movie Aksar's audio CD where Himesh Reshammiya repeats the word ‘Aaja’ 75 times in a single song – ‘Jhalak Dikhla Ja’. I am going to listen to that song throughout my flight to Cannes.
2) My dream earlier was to write a book on ‘How Indian soldiers survive at a high altitude of The Siachen Glacier’. I think I have changed my mind now. I am going to pen down a book on ‘How Indians survive on goat cheese and basil leaves for 7 days’ while at the festival this year.
3) I wish to not meet Rajiv Rao for the seventh time in the last 10 years at the same place – Rue D'Antibes.
4) I hope to not being subjected to the same ‘snake dance’ of ‘the’ drunk senior citizen of Indian Advertising (wearing a fluorescent trouser and Hawaiian shirt) at 3 AM on closing gala night yet again.
5) I really wish that India once again wins a Grand Prix, and I definitely want to scream and hoot ‘Bharat Mata Ki Jai’ louder than ever along with all the Indian delegates from the red carpet of Palais.
More on Bhatt...
Manish Bhatt is the Founder Director of Scarecrow Communications.
A Civil Engineer by qualification, Bhatt started his career as a site engineer with Gujarat State Fertilizer Corporation. But he soon got bored of machines, boilers and chimneys and decided to enter the world of advertising. After earning his Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts from MS University, Baroda, he joined Contract (a WPP agency) in 1995.
In a career spanning 15 years, he has worked with leading agencies such Ogilvy & Mather, McCann Erickson, Ambience Publicis and handled brands ranging from Tata Indicom, Aegon Religare, Cadbury, Asian Paints, HSBC, Hanes, Wonderbra, Vaseline, Johnson & Johnson, L'Oreal, Nestle, Eristoff (Bacardi), Barclays, Anchor Panasonic, Viacom 18 and many more.
His work has been recognised by renowned award bodies such as Cannes Lions, D&AD, The One Show, The Clio Awards, Communication Arts, Asia Pacific Awards, etc.
His ‘Respect the National Anthem’ and ‘Hostel’ (Eye Bank Association of India) are some of India's most popular and powerful public service commercials ever, which received appreciation from the United Nations, World Health Organisation and Commonwealth Parliamentary Association. He was ranked number two (in 2006) and number three (in 2005) in the ‘Hottest Creative People from India’ list, compiled by Campaign Brief Asia Magazine, Australia. Bhatt is a connoisseur of art and his office doubles up as an art gallery, which promotes young and offbeat talent.
The Direct Lions category has 24 jury members apart from the Jury President, Gideon Amichay, Former Chief Creative Officer and Joint Managing Partner of Shalmor Avnon Amichay / Y&R Interactive Tel Aviv.
Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube