HCL sets aside Rs 40 cr for new brand campaign

HCL is positioning itself as innovative IT solutions partner than just an IT services provider in its latest campaign. The stress is more on the TV medium

e4m by exchange4media Staff
Updated: Jul 9, 2012 11:05 PM
HCL sets aside Rs 40 cr for new brand campaign

And Mr Banker and Mr HCL are back again in HCL’s latest campaign. The company is on the path of transforming itself from a mere service provider to an innovative solution provider, given the times when it’s not just about services but solutions. HCL is communicating the same through a brand new campaign featuring the famous duo. While the core brand thought of ‘Technology That Touches Lives’ still continues, the campaign puts forward the strategic change happening at a larger level.

Talking about the objective behind the new campaign, Saurav Adhikari, President, Corporate Strategy, HCL, said, “HCL launched its first television brand campaign in 2007 with the tagline ‘Technology that touches lives’, which has successfully highlighted our offerings while positioning ourselves as a IT and tech conglomerate. The two iconic characters – Mr HCL and Mr Banker – have been critical in enabling this and made the protagonists as well as HCL household brands. We have revived the campaign again, but with a difference. The refreshed creative focuses on generating consumer engagement and association with our brand.”

The six-week campaign will be featured on almost all national and regional channels. HCL is spending Rs 30-40 crore every year on its marketing initiatives – 70 per cent of which is earmarked for television and remaining 30 per cent is spent on digital, print and OOH with equal budgets to each. The brand is also focusing on Tier I markets using OOH, occupying strategic locations to create maximum buzz. DraftFCB Ulka, the company’s creative partner, has created the campaign, while Lodestar, its media partner, is handing the OOH and media duties.

Explaining the creative leap in the campaign, Shiveshwar Singh, Group Creative Director, DraftFCB Ulka, said, “HCL has now evolved from a regular IT services provider to an IT solutions partner. The need was to take the brand to the next level and position HCL as a technology partner that continues to impact us at every stage in our lives. While we believed that this was the right time to kick-start a new campaign, it was critical to communicate in a manner that did not dilute the mindshare of the previous campaigns. This made us retain the two central characters – Mr HCL and Mr Banker – while giving the theme a cerebral twist.”

The new campaign is more ‘conceptual’ in its creative communication. The conceptual approach highlights the “HCL way of thinking” and not only its technology expertise. The advertisement demonstrates this way of thinking by showing Mr HCL helping out Mr Banker with instant, innovative solutions in a variety of interesting situations. These situations have been taken from the everyday personal and professional life of Mr Banker – representing the HCL customer, who becomes the primary beneficiary in the communication. The new communication is aimed at enabling HCL to successfully make the transition from an IT services provider to the preferred IT solutions partner for its prospective customers.

(With inputs from Deepika Bhardwaj and Priyanka Nair)

Read more news about (internet advertising India, internet advertising, advertising India, digital advertising India, media advertising India)

For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube