Women key influencers in family’s automobile purchase: Lumiere Business Solutions
Dainik Bhaskar Group aims to create information pieces for advertisers; the findings will be used as ‘value addition’ to media partners and advertisers
Dainik Bhaskar Group conducts various campaigns and reader engagement initiatives across markets that have set benchmarks in the Indian media industry. They aim to create information pieces for advertiser, which will help attract and open minds of advertisers. To fulfill this, different information areas will be researched through multiple studies.
A study conducted by Lumiere Business Solutions – a research and consulting firm, explored the role of women as a key influencer on the decision making process of the family’s purchase of an automobile, and understand media habits of consumers. These findings of the research will be used as ‘value addition’ to media partners; advertisers can use this information to influence their customers.
The key objectives of the research were to understand the role of women in the purchase of a four-wheeler vehicle, identify what are the internal and external deciding factors around the purchase, and also study the media consumption and habits of consumers that lead to the purchase.
The research was conducted in Ahmedabad and Jaipur, through focus groups as well as interviewing couples. All respondents were taken within the age groups of 25-35 years & 36-45 years, comprising women with careers as well as housewives. Respondents were a mix of intenders and buyers of four-wheeler vehicle who read a newspaper at least four times a week.
Satyajit Sengupta, Chief Corporate Sales and Marketing Officer, Dainik Bhaskar Group said, “The research has revealed some important nuances of how the role of women continues to evolve as a key influencer in the decision making process of high value purchases made by a family including an automobile. Gone are the times when women would not even be considered to express their opinions in important family or domestic decisions, and rather today, they are being seen to be playing a strong supportive role in every choice being made within the family. This is a key take-away to be used in creating targeted communications for automobile and other high-value purchases which were earlier thought to be made by men. The women are the influencers who are backing final purchase decisions and hence cannot be ignored in any communication by corporates”.
- The role of women has evolved over years - from earlier, not being regarded as a participant in the purchase decision for an automobile, to now becoming a key influencer in the decision making process.
- Overtime there has been a definite shift in the role of women from merely celebrating the purchase of a car by the family, to being an important ‘Partner’ in the decision making.
- This evolving role of women, can be considered a key communications input to advertisers to design the advertising communications around purchase of an automobile by the family, keeping women at the centre of the communication.
- The research reveals the different stages through which the woman of the house, guides the purchase decision: when the woman becomes the Enabler, Validator and Partner in the core decision making of the purchase of a 4-wheeler.
- While the men are the ‘financiers’ and may have more technical knowledge about automobiles, the women play an important participative role as a ‘sounding board’ across several parameters and actively leverages the internet to help in informed decision-making.
- The research revealed that women keep themselves updated through internet which is the most used medium to seek information; and read various newspapers for main local news, updates about family, food and fashion; and key trends, mainly scanning through headlines due to paucity of time.
- Women were also found to be the primary decision maker on household purchases up to Rs 5000 including children’s education, grocery and domestic expenditures. However, they are playing a ‘participative’ and ‘supportive’ role in high value purchases like consumer durables, house, jewellery and four-wheelers.
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube