IPL 7: Set Max ties up with eight sponsors

The official broadcaster of IPL has got on board Vodafone, Karbonn Mobile, TVS, Marico, Havells, Perfetti, Cadbury & Amazon as sponsors. Set Max has also maintained clarity on HD feeds this year

e4m by Abhinav Trivedi
Updated: Apr 16, 2014 8:48 AM
IPL 7: Set Max ties up with eight sponsors

As IPL 7 commences today, the official broadcaster Set Max and Sony Six have got eight sponsors on board. The list includes: Vodafone and Karbonn Mobile as presenting sponsors, while the associate sponsors are Havells, Prefetti, Amazon, Cadbury, TVS and Marico. Pepsi is the title sponsor for the tournament.

As per sources, Karbonn Mobile has bought 150 seconds of ad spots, while Vodafone has bought close to 200 seconds per match. Speculations are rife that Vodafone and Karbonn have invested close to Rs 55 crore and Rs 45 crore, respectively.

Along with this, the associate sponsors have bought 100-120 seconds of ad spots in the price range of Rs 25 crore-Rs 35 crore. The broadcaster usually sells 70 per cent of the inventories and keeps the remaining 30 per cent for spot buy ads, which command a premium ad rate and come with special packages as well. In the last edition of IPL, the spot buy rates went up to as high as Rs 15 lakh per 10 seconds in the slog matches.

Clarity over HD feed
Last year, the broadcaster had a dispute with Parle Products over the HD feeds, where both the companies got into a legal tussle. The bone of contention between the broadcaster and the advertiser was denial of screen presence to Parle’s ads on Sony’s HD feed. Sony alleged that HD feed was a separate package, while Parle alleged that there was no formal communication regarding the same and there was no knowledge of the HD feed coming under a separate package.

Advertisers we spoke to mentioned that this year the broadcasters have been mentioning that packages and deals closed will be for the SD feed. The rates for the HD feeds are slightly less as the reach for the platform is very less, but the quality of audience may be premium. The difference in ad rates is generally 15-20 per cent in some cases, as sources suggest.

Many advertisers, especially in the BFSI, e-commerce, auto and FMCG categories, are looking to buy on spot inventories. The period of negotiations though involves a lot of movement and strategic delays from both the sides. Brand analysts mention that in many cases brands prolong the decision to invest and broadcasters keep looking for better deals. In the end both fit what best suits the situation.

Online sponsorship
As far as Starsports.com, which is premiering live IPL online, is concerned, no concrete sponsor list could be gathered. Max Life Insurance is in final stages of negotiations, however, nothing has been finalised as of now. The online portal of Star Sports has ensured a reach of 25 million unique viewers this year, according to the brands.

STAR India had bought the rights of premiering live IPL from Times Internet this year. The broadcaster has offered four slots for associate sponsorship and two slots for co-sponsorship. The co-sponsorship is being pitched at Rs 9 crore, while the associate sponsorship is being pitched at Rs 5 crore. The scale of spends, however, is very small as compared to the spend brands splurge on the television version.

Marketers rate mobile viewing as the most robust strength of the digital version. The target audience of the portal as displayed through its TVCs is young, mobile and dynamic youngster.

STAR India could not be reached for official comments at the time of filing this report.

Read more news about (internet advertising India, internet advertising, advertising India, digital advertising India, media advertising India)

For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube