News9 turns 2; surges ahead on 'Glocal' mantra
News9, the English news channel from ABCL, which is completing two years, has attributed its success to the simple mantra of being ‘Glocal’.
News9, the English news channel from Associated Broadcasting Company Pvt Ltd (ABCL), which is completing two years, has attributed its success to the simple mantra of being ‘Glocal’.
The channel is positioned as an urban metro channel and plans to gradually cater to viewers in Hyderabad, Chennai, Cochin and Thiruvananthapuram, with more content from these cities.
Talking about numbers, Mahendra Mishra, Director, News9, quoted TAM and IRS3 QTR figures for the period December 2010 and said, “News9 reaches 4.96 lakh Bangaloreans everyday, while The Times of India and Deccan Herald have a combined readership of 5.02 lakh daily. It means the channel alone reaches almost similar number of Bangaloreans as the top English dailies in Bangalore city.”
News9 claims to have a viewership share of 59 per cent among all English news channels in Bangalore, while Times Now, NDTV, CNN-IBN, Headlines Today and NewsX have a combined share of 41 per cent. Further quoting TAM figures for SEC A/B 15+ for the period January 2011, Mishra claimed that News9 had a lion’s share of 51 per cent in the prime time news viewership (7 pm-11 pm) in the Bangalore market, while the five news channels shared the remaining 49 per cent together.
Describing News9 as a channel for the young, upwardly mobile English speaking Bangaloreans, Mishra also attributed the words “fast”, “aggressive”, “young”, “energetic” and “youthful” to the channel. He added, “The content on the channel has a lot of variety and is designed for the educated elite. It has great appeal to the young viewers and nearly half of News9’s viewers are youngsters below the age of 34 years, which is an extremely rare case among news channels in the country.”
The channel’s content, however, is not much different from what other news channels have to offer and comprises a mix of local news with national, international, sports, business, and entertainment news, among others.
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube