Sluggish DAS implementation in Kolkata draws TRAI's ire

TRAI has taken serious note of the slack implementation of DAS in Kolkata; directs MSOs/ LCOs to take immediate action or face penal action as per the TRAI Act

e4m by Abid Hasan
Updated: Jul 19, 2013 8:09 AM
Sluggish DAS implementation in Kolkata draws TRAI's ire

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has expressed serious concern over the slow rate of conversion to Digital Addressable Cable TV Systems (DAS) in Kolkata. The Authority has observed that even though sufficient time has elapsed since November 1, 2012. The subscriber management system of DAS has not been effectively operationlised by the Multi System Operators (MSOs) providing cable TV services in Kolkata.

TRAI convened a meeting on July 18, 2013 of the leading MSOs in Kolkata to review the progress of implementation of DAS.

The subscriber management system has to complete details of the subscribers, including their choice of channels. Unless this is done, the full benefit of digitisation cannot be extended to all the stakeholders, including the subscribers. This will also help the subscribers to budget their bills.

TRAI expressed its serious concern over the fact that only 20 per cent of the subscribers’ details and their choices are available in the subscriber management system in Kolkata. On the other hand, this figure is more than 80 per cent in other metro cities. The regulatory body has said that the inaction on the part of MSOs and LCOs to implement DAS is “totally unacceptable”. Accordingly, the MSOs have been directed to take immediate steps to ensure that the subscriber management system is updated. TRAI will closely monitor the progress in this regard and will be taking all possible actions, including penal action as per the TRAI Act, to ensure compliance of its regulatory framework.

For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube