Vivo IPL 2018 records 371 mn viewers on TV and Hotstar in inaugural week: BARC Ratings

Television reach was primarily driven by 30% increase in reach in South; Hotstar registered a growth of 76% versus last year

by exchange4media Staff
Published - Apr 19, 2018 5:06 PM Updated: Apr 19, 2018 5:06 PM
VIVO IPL

The inaugural week of the VIVO IPL 2018, recorded 371 million viewers on television and Hotstar. The television viewership stood at 288.4 million viewers (BARC 2+ U+R) and a reach of 82.4 million viewers on Hotstar. Incidentally, this is the highest ever inaugural week viewership recorded for IPL since its launch.
Television reach was primarily driven by 30% increase in reach in South. The audience demographic of Males 15+ AB, Urban registered 273 Million impressions with a 23% growth versus a year ago. The growth recorded was not limited to the core cricket fan with total Urban gross impressions at 854 million at 17% growth versus last year. Interestingly, 40% of the viewers were women.
Hotstar registered a growth of 76% versus last year with a 5.5 million concurrency during the CSK vs KKR game on April 10, 2018, concurrency of 6.0 million was achieved during the MI vs RCB game on April 17, 2018.
Speaking on the response to the opening week of Vivo IPL 2018, Sanjay Gupta, MD, Star India, said, “We sought to re-imagine the way IPL was presented to fans and are delighted with how fans have responded across both TV and Hotstar, helping us set new viewership and conversation benchmarks. The consumption growth is a truly satisfying yardstick of unmatched fan delight and value for brands. Even though it is early days, this has already become the most watched IPL ever on a tournament to date basis, and we hope to continue to engage fans powered by localization and technology across TV and Hotstar.”

For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube

Stay updated with the latest news in the Marketing & Advertising sector with our daily newsletter

By clicking Sign Up, I agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.