Dainik Bhaskar largest circulated multi-edition daily followed by ToI: RNI annual report
The largest number of publications registered in any Indian language is Hindi followed by English, registered publications witnessed a growth of 3.58% growth with UP leading the list followed by Maharashtra, reveals the latest RNI report
The largest number of publications registered in any Indian language is Hindi followed by English. Also, registered publications witnessed a growth of 3.58% growth with Uttar Pradesh leading the list of largest number of registered publications followed by Maharashtra. Both these findings were revealed by the latest Registrar of Newspapers for India (RNI) annual report, Print in India 2016-17, launched on December 15, 2017
“The publication was an important document to map the progress of the Indian newspaper industry in the last one year. The report gave a comprehensive analysis of the contours of the growth for the industry specially the growth amongst regional language publications,” said Union Information & Broadcasting Minister Smriti Zubin Irani during the launch of the report, which is an indicative picture of facts and trends in the Indian Print Media.
Irani added that in this “digital era the report has a seminal importance and assumes importance for the student community as well” and emphasised on the need to release this report digitally. “The data on publications in Regional language should be analysed as well for its growth and dispersal,” she suggested.
According to the report, there are 1, 14,820 number of registered publications. Out of all the Indian language registered publications, Hindi language has most number of publications followed by the English language with numbers standing at 46,827 and 14, 365 respectively.
In the year 2016-17, 4007 new publications were registered and 38 publications were ceased, said the report.
Also, Dainik Bhaskar is reported to be the largest circulated multi-edition daily followed by The Times of India with circulation figures of 47,36,785 and 42,68,703 respectively.
RNI is mandated under Section 19 (G) of the PRB Act, 1867 to submit an Annual Report to the Government every year on or before December 31.
Highlights of the Indian Press in 2016-17 (As on March 31, 2017)
1. The Total Number of Registered Publications: 1,14,820
i) Newspaper category (Daily, Tri/Bi-weekly periodicities): 16,993
ii) Periodicals category (other periodicities): 97,827
2. The number of new publications registered during 2016-17: 4,007
3. Number of publications ceased during 2016-17: 38
4. Percentage of growth of total registered publications over the previous year: 3.58 %
5. The largest number of publications registered in any Indian language (Hindi): 46,587
6. The second largest number of publications registered in any language other than Hindi (English): 14,365
7. The State with the largest number of registered publications (Uttar Pradesh): 17,736
8. The State with the second largest number of registered publications (Maharashtra): 15,673
9. The number of publications which submitted Annual Statements
(This figure includes 1,472 Misc. publications): 31,028
10. The total claimed circulation of publications during 2016-17: 48,80,89,490
i) Hindi Publications: 23,89,75,773
ii) English Publications: 5,65,77,000
iii) Urdu Publications: 3,24,27,005
11. The largest number of publications that submitted Annual Statements in any Indian language (Hindi): 15,596
12. The second largest number of publications that submitted Annual Statements in any language (English): 2,317
13. The largest circulated Daily: “Ananda Bazar Patrika”, Bengali, Kolkata: 11,16,428
14. The Second largest circulated Daily: “The Times of India” English, Delhi: 9,56,054
15. The largest circulated Hindi Daily: “Punjab Kesari”, Jalandhar: 7,14,888
16. The largest circulated Multi-edition Daily: “Dainik Bhaskar”, Hindi. (46 editions): 47,36,785
17. The second largest circulated Multi-edition Daily: “The Times of India”, English. (33 editions): 42,68,703
18. The largest circulated Periodical: “The Sunday Times of India”, English/Weekly edition, Delhi: 8,35,269
19. The largest circulated Periodical in Malayalam: “Vanitha”, Malayalam/Fortnightly edition, Kottayam: 6,47,104
20. Total Title Applications Received: 20,555
i) Titles Approved: 9,278
ii) Titles Deblocked: 6,506
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube