Rewind 2015:Guest Column: Mitrajit Bhattacharya's Best Print Ads of 2015
Mitrajit Bhattacharya President & Publisher, Chitralekha Group profiles the top ten print ad campaigns of 2015 that redefined brand positioning and creativity in many ways
Published - Dec 23, 2015 9:37 AM Updated: Dec 23, 2015 9:37 AM
Print ads can provide a reader great amount of joy, if created and executed with passion. You would probably like to return to themappreciating their finer details. Choosing randomly some of the national print adsfrom across categories which appealed to me over the year was an arduous task. Still I have given it a shot.
1. Diu Tourism: PiyushPandey spoke about the joy of creating tourism ads at Ad Asia Taipei recently and this ad has ample proof of that. Stands out for the simple tagline ---‘Isle of Calm’, and excellent visual appeal. Stamp of O&M all the way.
2. Sabyasachi: India’s leading fashion designer believes as much in the grandiose of those expensive wedding sarees as in his store’sdecor and branding. He is the Sanjay LeelaBhansali of the fashion world and SLB’s Mastani looks just as attractive in a Sabya, if not more.
3. Raymond Made to Measure: The 90 year old fabric major is turning a new leaf. It’s ‘Made to Measure’ campaign has initiated a new category in the area of bespoke tailoring. The campaign can compete with any international brand highlighting the nuances of handcrafted apparel.
4. Van Heusen Colour Play: Colours in prêt fashion ads are usually used inplayful abundance. Here they are used in controlled, yet striking manner, highlighting bright colours against a contrasting background. You can’t miss the ad; and highly desirable too,necessary for the finicky and style conscious women. High on style. Very Italian.
5. Vistara: I just love the simplicity of the ad, communicating a new category of flying in a preciseyet engaging approach. Print ads need to be like this.
6. ICICI direct.com: The category of finance suffers from lack of creativity and overdose of information. This ad,which attempts to communicate the key message of online transactions for mutual fund,does it pretty effectively.
7. Good Earth: Few words, but profuse in its storytelling. The art direction is top class, positioning of each element like the chair, the shelf, the branding, the body copy is near perfect and very aesthetic too.
8. Wrangler Traveler Jeans: Jeans are not mereapparels, they are a way of life. The comfort of wearing jeans while travelling comes across in this ad beautifully, without talking too much about the product. It quite awakens the wanderlust within.
9. Lakme Absolute: This campaign stands out in the highly competitive cosmetic category dominated by international brands. The highlights include: instant recognition of brand and product range and great use of a celebrity.
10. Titan Raga: Titan has done some wonderful work with Raga collection, involving very high profile leading ladies of Bollywood- Rani, Katrina, Nimrat etc. In its new campaign with bollywood diva KritiSanon, the focus stays firmly on the product.
For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube