Top Story

e4m_logo.png

Home >> Media – Print >> Article

Deccan Chronicle plans to buy book store chain

05-September-2005
Font Size   16
Deccan Chronicle plans to buy book store chain

The estimated cost of the acquisition is Rs 50 crore.

Deccan Chronicle Holdings, owner of English dailies Deccan Chronicle and The Asian Age, is close to acquiring a retail chain of book stores. The value of the acquisition is estimated at Rs 50 crore.

Sources confirmed the news adding that the company could make an announcement to this effect tomorrow. They, however, declined to name the target firm.

PK Iyer, executive director, Deccan Chronicle, declined to comment saying the company would inform the stock exchanges first if it finalised any acquisition proposal. He added that the board of directors would meet tomorrow.

Deccan Chronicle Holdings has informed the stock exchanges that the board would “consider various organic and inorganic growth options” at tomorrow’s meeting. The acquisition will be the second takeover by the Hyderabad-based media company in four months.

In early May, it had acquired 67 per cent stake in Asian Age Holdings, promoters of The Asian Age, for Rs 17.10 crore. The acquisition valued The Asian Age at Rs 25.52 crore and scaled up Deccan Chronicle’s holding to 90 per cent. UB group Chairman Vijay Mallya holds the remaining 10 per cent.

Sources said Deccan Chronicle had initiated steps to raise funds, most probably through issue of foreign currency convertible bonds, to finance its growth. The company will seek shareholders’ approval to raise funds through FCCBs, ADRs and GDRs at the forthcoming general body meeting.

The company’s move to raise funds followed a government announcement on June 17, allowing foreign funds, overseas corporate bodies, non-resident Indians and persons of Indian origin to invest in Indian newspaper companies.

In addition, printing of foreign editions of international publications in India has also been allowed. Iyer, while reacting to the new policy, had told Business Standard that the government move provided the management a larger universe to explore newer opportunities.

Mutual funds and stock brokers have been active at the Deccan Chronicle counter for the past few months. The company’s stock closed at Rs 320.60 on Friday on the Bombay Stock Exchange. It was hovering around Rs 200 in May.

Tags

Vijay Mansukhani, speaks to exchange4media about the resurgence of Onida, the scope of growth of consumer electronics market in India and the reasons why Indian consumer electronics brands don’t compete on a global scale

Projjol Banerjea opens up about hiring Anne Macdonald and GroupM's Rob Norman, and the brand's new identity

Meera Iyer tells exchange4media that in FY 2016/17, bigbasket clocked a revenue of Rs 1,400 crore. The online supermarket currently stands at 70,000 orders a day, with operations in 25 cities.

CMO, Kashyap Vadapalli on the start-up’s marketing play, why it has decided to stay away from IPL and response to its furniture rental apps

In terms of affiliates, India ranks on the top. Spurred by the fast growth of mobile users and hence internet users, there are millions of websites, apps, WAP-sites and blogs using affiliate marketing...

Insecurity in the workplace due to the idea of AI encroaching on your job, or being sidelined at work because of your small town background? Sandeep Goyal has the right answers to help you deal with w...

As National Sales Head at News18.com, Ashish aims to bring on board a maximum number of advertising partners and consolidate the network’s position as a leader in the space.