Top Story

e4m_logo.png

Home >> Media – Print >> Article

DAVP panel to offer new rate structure, address issues of small & medium newspapers

11-January-2005
Font Size   16
DAVP panel to offer new rate structure, address issues of small & medium newspapers

Director General, DAVP, Swagat Ghosh denied that the Government body has been unfair to the small and medium newspapers in distributing social message advertisements. Ghosh, at an INS seminar on the small and medium newspapers, held on Monday, said that 67 per cent of DAVP ads went to small and medium newspapers last year, the rest going to the big dailies. “It’s just that the amount given to the larger publications were high as their circulation was also large,” he explained.

Ghosh said a rate structure committee was set up to look into the concerns of small and medium newspapers. When asked why the DAVP card rate was so low, he responded, “The rate is certainly low but the volume is large and so perhaps it compensates. Also, primarily the advertisements that we give out are social service messages and hence we cannot give market rates for them.”

Santosh Mohan Dev, Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, inaugurating the second session, said he would convey the concerns of the smaller newspapers to the government.

Ghosh pointed out, “Eighty per cent of advertisements are from the ministries. The budgets for these campaigns are very small and the ministry looks for maximum reach. In such circumstances where we have very low budgets, DAVP has very little option than to issue the ads to the bigger newspapers.” He, however, maintained, “But to be fair we did make sure that there was a balance.”

Interestingly, Shahid Siddiqui, MP and MD of Nayi Duniya, recommended that DAVP could evolve a formula by which 80 per cent of the ad budget was allocated to the small and medium newspapers, and the rest 20 per cent going to the big players. On this, Ghosh said, “This isn’t really practical considering that ministries that give Rs 1 crore for ads generally state the publications they want.” Ghosh however added that DAVP was open to this recommendation.

Referring to the panel for new rate structures, Ghosh said his organization would “certainly address all the concerns of small and medium newspapers, but cautioned that it was Government money, and everything needed to be accounted for”.

Summing up the deliberations, Sunil Dang, convenor of the seminar and Executive Committee member of the INS, expressed the hope that DAVP would adopt a more helpful and equitable approach in order to ameliorate the difficulties of the smaller newspapers, many of whom were located in far-flung parts of the country, and were closest to the vast rural and semi-rural population of India. “We will take up with the relevant authorities in government, like the Registrar of Newspapers and DAVP, the recommendations and concerns made at today’s seminar,” he said.

Tags

Vijay Mansukhani, speaks to exchange4media about the resurgence of Onida, the scope of growth of consumer electronics market in India and the reasons why Indian consumer electronics brands don’t compete on a global scale

Projjol Banerjea opens up about hiring Anne Macdonald and GroupM's Rob Norman, and the brand's new identity

Meera Iyer tells exchange4media that in FY 2016/17, bigbasket clocked a revenue of Rs 1,400 crore. The online supermarket currently stands at 70,000 orders a day, with operations in 25 cities.

CMO, Kashyap Vadapalli on the start-up’s marketing play, why it has decided to stay away from IPL and response to its furniture rental apps

In terms of affiliates, India ranks on the top. Spurred by the fast growth of mobile users and hence internet users, there are millions of websites, apps, WAP-sites and blogs using affiliate marketing...

Insecurity in the workplace due to the idea of AI encroaching on your job, or being sidelined at work because of your small town background? Sandeep Goyal has the right answers to help you deal with w...

As National Sales Head at News18.com, Ashish aims to bring on board a maximum number of advertising partners and consolidate the network’s position as a leader in the space.