Home >> Marketing >> Article

Cellular subscriber base touches 8.53 m: COAI

12-October-2002
Font Size   16
Cellular subscriber base touches 8.53 m: COAI

The cellular subscriber base in the country has reached 8.53 million, having added over 3.59 lakh additional customers in the month of September 2002.

As per the latest estimates of the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI), the total number of cellular subscribers in the four metros continues to be the highest at 34.90 lakh subscribers followed closely by A circle at 28.28 lakh subscribers and B Circle at 19.33 lakh subscribers. Circle C continues to be far behind at only 2.79 lakh subscribers.

According to COAI all India additions in September were "disappointingly low", representing a steep reduction of 25 per cent over the previous month mainly because of the massive disconnections of pre-paid subscribers who had not provided identity authentication by the Government deadline of September 30.

Another reason was also the disconnection of Koshika's licence in UP (East), due to which 56,000 subscribers have had to be taken out of the system.

Among the operators, Bharti continues to be the single largest mobile operator accounting for 22.93 lakh subscribers. Bharti is also the single largest operator in any one single circle, having bagged over 7.64 lakh customers in Delhi.

Hutchison is the second largest single operator accounting for 17.88 lakh subscribers. The BPL group is a close third with a total subscriber base of 10.37 lakh subscribers followed by Idea cellular with 10.15 lakh subscribers.

The top four cellular groups together have a subscriber base of 65.21 lakhs, which works out to 72 per cent of the total market. The remaining 28 per cent being shared amongst Escotel, Spice Communications, Aircel, Koshika, Reliance Telecom, MTNL and BSNL.

The public sector entities MTNL and BSNL have a total subscriber base of just around 2.46 lakh subscribers. While MTNL accounts for 2.16 lakh in both Mumbai and Delhi, BSNL, which has started its services in Kolkata, Tamil Nadu and Bihar is due to rollout its full fleged services across the country on October 19.

Tags e4m

Kartikeya Sharma says that June has been the best month for sales in the 11 years that the brand has been in India

The newly appointed CEO of ZEE5 on how he aims to have the widest appeal in the OTT space amongst Indian consumers

The VP, Marketing and Communications (South Asia), talks about the company's growth strategy, its focus areas, impact of demonetisation on consumer behaviour and much more

Siju Prabhakaran, South Cluster Head, Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited, talks about channel's rebranding, extending fiction shows to weekends and much more

right
left
RADIO CITY CELEBRATES ITS 17TH ANNIVERSARY WITH CONCERT, AWARDS AND FUN 5TH EDITION OF TIMES NOW & ICICI BANK’S NRI OF THE YEAR AWARDS GLOBAL INDIANS PITCH CMO SUMMIT BENGALURU SEES TOP INDUSTRY LEADERS AND MARKETERS IN ATTENDANCE DISTINGUISHED JURY COMES TOGETHER TO PICK WINNERS FOR PITCH’S TOP 50 BRANDS PITCH CMO SUMMIT BANGALORE SEES TOP CMOS ACROSS INDUSTRIES IN ATTENDANCE 1ST REPUBLIC TV GULF INDIAN LEADERSHIP SUMMIT & AWARDS HONOUR STALWARTS OF INDIAN GULF BUSINESS COMMUNITY SONY YAY! CELEBRATES ITS FIRST BIRTHDAY WITH PARTY FOR TRADE PARTNERS THOUGHT LEADERS AND TOP DIGITAL MARKETERS SPEAK @ EXCHANGE4MEDIA GROUP’S TECHMANCH 2018 IN MUMBAI EXCHANGE4MEDIA’S IDMA 2018 RECOGNIZES INDUSTRY’S BEST DIGITAL MARKETING CAMPAIGNS REALTY PLUS UNVEILS COFFEE TABLE BOOK AT 10TH CONCLAVE & EXCELLENCE AWARDS @AHMEDABAD EMINENT JURY CONGREGATES TO PICK WINNERS OF INDIAN DIGITAL MARKETING AWARDS 2018 OFF THE CUFF SEES ‘SWACHH BHARAT ABHIYAN’ MAN PARAMESWARAN IYER IN CONVERSATION WITH SHEKHAR GUPTA EXCHANGE4MEDIA’S LOUDEST.IN HOSTS INAUGURAL EDITION OF MUSIC INC. IN MUMBAI EMINENT JURY CONGREGATES TO PICK IMPACT’S 40UNDERFORTY ACHIEVERS PORTER PRIZE & INSTITUTE FOR COMPETITIVENESS RECOGNIZE STRATEGIC ACUMEN IN COMPANIES DELHI AD CLUB-SAARC AWARDS 2018 RECOGNIZE EXCELLENCE ACROSS CREATIVE, MEDIA & DIGITAL AGENCIES BSNL & CALL2ACTION COMMUNICATION INDIA LAUNCH MOBILE ADVERTISING PLATFORM, INFOMO IN NEW DELHI CHILDREN’S RIGHTS ACTIVIST KAILASH SATYARTHI LAUNCHES BOOK ‘EVERY CHILD MATTERS’ SENIOR JOURNALIST VIJAY TRIVEDI LAUNCHES BOOK ‘YADA YADA HI YOGI’ BASED ON YOGI ADITYANATH EMINENT JURY CONGREGATES TO PICK IMPACT’S 40UNDERFORTY ACHIEVERS

John Immesoete talks about the changing role of CCOs in the digital era, new agency models and more

Guenther Sproll of Germany's Liebherr-Hausgeräte on his game plan for the Indian market, product pricing and more

By launching its global Generosity Campaign in India, Cadbury now explores the theme of Achhai (goodness), building on its strong proposition of Kuchh Meetha Ho Jaaye