Top Story

Home >> idma >> Article

Techमंच: Panellists look at the trends shaping digital marketing (watch the video)

29-June-2018
Font Size   16
Techमंच: Panellists look at the trends shaping digital marketing (watch the video)

It is no secret that digital marketing is becoming imperative for marketers, if not already. There are various factors and trends that are shaping it today. To discuss this, exchange4media's TechManch 2018 brought together the likes of Abhishek Ahluwalia, Head – eCommerce - India, Mondelēz International; Ankush Manchanda, Head, Digital Marketing– Bacardi; Shamsuddin Jasani, MD, Isobar; and Shouneel Charles, Senior Vice President & Business Head, Timesnownews.com. The panel was moderated by Samir Bangara, Co-Founder & Managing Director, Qyuki Digital Media.

Watch the entire discussion here:



The panel identified valuable marketing trends and discussed the state of digital marketing in the present time. The conversation centred around trends such as how internet and video are becoming synonymous, decentralization of the power of internet and the rise of digital superstars.

On the trend of digital superstars, Manchanda said, “We saw this trend of digital superstars come up aggressively.” He cited the example of Bacardi and how they shut down the brand’s existing social media activities to tie up with AIB. “Emerging markets like us have the appetite to take risks. I see more FMCG brands utilizing social-listening,” he shared.

Jasani said that a lot of brands are these days using influencer-marketing to create noise around their offering. “The trick lies in using them as part of your longer-term strategy and not just when you have some part of the marketing expenditure remaining to be used,” he said.

Manchanda said the shift from branded content to entertaining content had fetched Bacardi a 4X brand lift on digital. He let out that its best to work directly with creators. “The content-creator needs to understand that he is embodying a brand and that is a long-term association,” he says.

Speaking about the power of personalization of message with AR, Ahluwalia said, “E-commerce is as much about revenue as equity. It is about creating a differentiated proposition and bringing it forward to the consumer. If your proposition is well-integrated and you create enough noise around it, you can get enough out of it,” he said, sharing the example of Cadbury’s Valentines Day campaign and how it drove revenue.


When the discussion reached to programmatic advertising, Jasani suggested, “We need to start realizing and listening to our consumers while using programmatic. If they’re interested in a content, give it to them,” he said. When Bangara quizzed him on whether clients do understand the data being thrown at them, he said that it all depends on the maturity of the client. “We need to pick and choose which data we need to use. Digital today is too driven by digital-marketing KPI. The bigger KPI is: What’s my sales and is it making a difference to my brand?,” opined Jasani.

Speaking about how huge businesses are being challenged by digital, Charles said, ‘Video has got extremely democratized. We’re trying to shift everyone’s mindset to think broadcast plus digital and incubate digital-first,” he said.

Manchanda revealed, “For Bacardi, we spend 70% of our budgets on digital today. The rest 30% are allocated for TV and BTL activities. We recognize that India is a country of the largest under-30 population and we want them to be emotionally-involved with the brand,” he said.

Chief Content Officer, Eros Group, on Eros Now's first original comedy series, reception to its short form content and code to crack original content strategy

The new Head of Office for FCB Ulka Bengaluru on her vision for the agency, her role in shaping brands over 16 years, and why it is important to have fun in advertising

Strategy Head, Zirca Digital Solutions listed out key aspects of a good content marketing strategy and performance indicators for successful campaign

Richard Ingleton, Group CEO, Kantar Insights, says it is not right to associate market research with just survey

Prakash joined PepsiCo in 1998 in India, and since then has held various positions across marketing and franchise functions in the company both in India and abroad

Divya will leverage her eclectic and rich experience across OTT and broadcast media, to build brand ALTBalaji

Your weekly news roundup, a summary of some of the stories to keep an eye on