Jabong: A digital success or a marketing faux pas?

exchange4media takes a look at Jabong’s brand communication and decodes the fashion portal’s strategy of giving digital 90 per cent share in its marketing pie

e4m by Saloni Surti
Updated: May 27, 2013 8:15 PM
Jabong: A digital success or a marketing faux pas?

In a fast fashion-crazed world, apparels available at a click is indeed a boon. Reports suggest that e-commerce websites in Asia Pacific grew by a staggering 33 per cent in 2012, with apparels growing to become almost as big as technology vertical in terms on sales.

While most websites go all out to leverage every opportunity of promoting their collection across all media, Jabong focuses mainly on digital. The website recently crossed one million likes; currently it has 1,123,338 likes, with 90,345 talking about the brand.

Soon after its arrival, Jabong gave established websites such as Flipkart and Snapdeal a run for their money. It established a huge collection with fast services in a very short period. While all its competition websites have been very active on television and other offline media, Jabong seems to be very confident of taking the risk of giving them (offline media) very less share in its marketing pie.
Is the risk paying off?
Digital and social hold 90 per cent of Jabong’s marketing pie and the remaining 10 per cent is allotted to television and outdoor. Manu Jain, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Jabong explained that they shy away from media such as radio and OOH due to lack of definite measurement. The brand looks at television from time to time in case of any specific campaign.

While digital and social media continue to be an additional medium to most marketers who are still experimenting with it, Jabong seems to be in sync with the medium. With almost all eggs in one basket, the website has by far managed to execute some successful campaigns.

“We use digital to enhance our transactions and revenues and social media to increase engagement. Offline media are used to generate awareness in small towns and cities,” commented Jain.

Jabong ran a television campaign to create awareness about their range of products. The advertisement featured a wife screaming out of shock on seeing the kind of variety and services that the brand offers.

The only out of home hoarding by Jabong is outside the departure area of Delhi airport to make travellers aware of the site and its services.
To initiate engagement, the website recently rolled out a number of social media campaigns on various occasions such as the page achieving million likes, Valentine’s Day and a Chief Shopping Officer campaign to increase traction on the website.

Jain explained that in all its communications, Jabong conveys the message of being the ultimate fashion portal with largest and widest assortment of fashion and lifestyle products, and of being the ‘Google’ destination for it. To deliver the message, the fashion and lifestyle portal usually banks on the style factor exhibited in movies.

Bollywood being a passion in India, associating Jabong with a movie and its style element can be called a strategically correct move. The portal recently associated itself with Ranbir Kapoor – Deepika Padukone starrer ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’. The film’s merchandise was released on the website, not only increasing traction on the website but also leading to Jabong’s cross promotion with the film.

Jabong’s immediate competition websites such as Myntra, eBay, Flipkart and Homeshop18 have been very active on television to promote their summer collection and other products and services. While Jabong has managed to sail through royally so far by banking only on digital, how much this strategy will work in the long run is a million dollar question.

For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube

Stay updated with the latest news in the Marketing & Advertising sector with our daily newsletter

By clicking Sign Up, I agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.