ASCI upholds complaints against 185 out of 230 advertisements in March
In March 2015, ASCI’s Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) upheld complaints against 185 out of 230 advertisements. Out of 185 advertisements against which complaints were upheld, 81 belonged to the Personal and Healthcare category, followed by 57 advertisements in the Education Category, with 47 advertisements in other categories.
HEALTH AND PERSONAL CARE:
The CCC found the following claims in 81 health and personal care product or service advertisements to be either misleading or false or not adequately/scientifically substantiated and hence violating ASCI’s Code. Some of the health care products or services advertisements also contravened provisions of the Drug & Magic Remedies Act and Chapter 1.1 and III.4 of the ASCI Code. Complaints against the following advertisements were UPHELD.
- Lifespan Diabetes & Cardiometabolic Clinic: This advertisement claims, “Diabetics are 50% more likely to have a heart attack” which is not a correct representation of the facts and is an incorrect interpretation of data.
- Subhash Pukale Ayurved Dispensers: The advertisement claims instant cure for diabetes with 100% weight loss guarantee or a money back policy.
- Vibes Healthcare Limited: The advertisement claims to provide an Advanced Lipo Laser Treatment which helps weight loss upto 10 kgs by targeting one’s abdomen, hips and thighs with visible results in just one session.
- Zee Laboratories: The advertisement of Zee Gold Strong for Men claims to have extra power of arginine which provides vigour and vitality, de- stresses, energizes, provides strength and stamina, antiageing, includes antioxidant properties, ginseng, vitamins and minerals. They further claim that Zee Gold Women for Women helps fulfil scarcity of blood, enhances beauty by reducing wrinkles, increases agility, quickness and contains ginseng, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, iron, lycofene and grape seed.
- Hashmi Dawakhana: The advertisement claims to nullify the fear of sex, increase the size of the penis by one to two inches, makes one more energetic with super sex power and more passion with the consumption of just one strip, with a guarantee card.
- Vaidyaban Ayurvedic Remedies: The advertisement claims successful treatment of impotency. The advertisement further claims to cure sex related problems caused due to any reason as well as cure weaknesses caused due to sex within a few days. They further claim to cure thicken semen, strengthen bad nerves, weak penis and make it hard and provide sure shot permanent treatment of impotency, premature ejaculation, semen disease, nightfall and less or nil sperm count, passion with a lifetime solution.
- Renuka Hospital & Trauma Centre: The advertisement claims successful treatment of infertility, which is also in breach of the law as it violated The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act.
- Harinarayan Pharmacy (Charans Siddh Bhringraj Hair Oil): The advertisement claims Charans Siddh Bhringraj Hair Oil stops hair fall completely.
- Sanjivani Homoeopathic Centre: The advertisement claims successful treatment of kidney stones and gall bladder stones without any operation but with an advanced computerized homeopathic treatment Centre.
- Herbal Life Clinic: The advertisement claims successful treatment of sexual problems with world’s no. 1 German bandaged penis increaser tool which helps make the penis seven – eight inches long, big, hard, in shape and energetic, and provides better sex capacity to 35-40 minutes. They further claim to provide 100% Ayurvedic treatment to prevent premature ejaculation, nightfall, childlessness, impotency and crookedness of the shape of the penis.
- Popular Pharma (D K Energy): The advertisement claims DK Energy to be the only Ayurvedic medicine to help gain weight in just 15 days.
- Dr. Batra’s Homeopathy: The advertisement showcases before and after images of hair growth after the use of product, which is misleading.
- Shreeji Honey (Shreeji Ashtamrut): The advertisement claims Shreeji Ashtamrut to be a health enhancer drink, especially for the resistance to Swine flu.
- Lup Tup (Lup Tup Health Drinks): The advertisement claims that the health drink helps prevent heart attacks, helps lose weight, controls cholesterol and is a heart block removal tonic. It further claims to be a natural tonic with no chemicals and side effects.
- Vineeta Healthcare Private Limited (D GO Ayurvedic Capsule & Syrup): The advertisement claims D GO Ayurvedic Capsule & Syrup helps prevent increasing sugar levels in the body.
- Med Spa: The advertisement claims removal of targeted fat through the spa. They further claim, “4D Body Contouring- This customized combination treatment incorporates targeted fat removal”.
- Baljiwan Medicines Pvt Ltd (Baljiwan Instant Joshanda): The advertisement claims that Baljiwan Instant Joshanda is enriched with green tea and helps one to relax, reduce stress, boosts stamina, fights illness, cough, cold and flu, strengthens immunity and keeps one going.
- Cavinkare Limited (Spinz Sun – Tan Remover): The claim of Spinz Sun- tan remover “To remove sun tan in 5 minutes”, was not substantiated.
- Naturoveda Health World (Zilaxo): The advertisement claims Zilaxo was awarded the Most Promising Brand Equipped with Internationally Acclaimed Technologies citation with approved equipment stamp by US FDA.
- Wipro Enterprises Ltd (Santoor Hand Wash): The advertisement of Santoor Hand Wash claims that the product is enriched with natural protective oils that kill germs and visual depiction of the germ kill effect of the product, was not substantiated with the evidence of product germ kill efficacy.
- Shree Maruti Herbal (Stay-On Oral Liquid): The advertisement claims that Stay-On Oral Liquid is a 100% ayurvedic formula and herbal supplement for men and women, which brings unbelievable passion in one’s body that helps getting enthusiasm and happiness in one’s life. They further claim to be a supplement offered for the first time in India. Also, the advertisement’s claims, read in conjunction with the pack visual, imply that the product is meant for enhancement of sexual pleasure, which is in breach of the law.
- VLCC Health Care Ltd (Waist and Tummy Trim Treatment): The advertisement of Waist and Tummy Trim Treatment claims weight reduction of eight kilograms and six centimeters, within six weeks of the consumption of the product.
- VLCC Health Care Ltd (Slim Sonic): The advertisement of Slim Sonic claims weight loss, body contouring and skin tightening, with clinically proven faster and long lasting results. The advertisement further claims, “1 Treatment, 1 Visit, 1 Size Smaller”.
- La Belle Bodycare Pvt. Ltd (Bio Slim Therapy): The advertisement of Bio Slim Therapy claims to help reducing weight, specifically upto six centimeters loss from the waist, hips and thighs and detoxifies the body. They further claim that this unique combination not only breaks down the most stubborn fat but also tones your body. They also claim “Experience this new treatment to shape your body and mind, in just 90 minutes per day”.
- Anjali Products (Susen Range of Products): The advertisement claims Susen Range of Products provide solution to all hair problems like hair fall, greying, dandruff and baldness.
- Makewell Pharmaceutical (Speed Health Capsule): The advertisement claims that Speed Health Capsule benefits one’s liver, increases appetite, cures irritation, develops new blood and builds muscles, cures weakness and tiredness which helps to develop more interest towards one’s work. They further claim that this Ayurvedic Medicine for men and women has no side effects and helps to get an energetic body in a course of three months.
- Nipcos (Nipcos Range of Products): The advertisement claims U-VA Plus Oil Capsules to be a 100% ayurvedic product useful for gaining vitality, enthusiasm, as well as for a feeling of energy and passion in one’s personal life and the first choice of women since the past 12 years. Also, the advertisement’s claims, read in conjunction with the advertisement’s visual, imply that the product is meant for breast enhancement and enhancement of sexual pleasure, which is in breach of the law
- Deep Ayurveda: The advertisement claims 100% cure of problems like liver disorders, kidney failure, sugar, blood pressure, chronic constipation, hyper acidity, kidney stones, knee and joint pain, arthritis, sex problems, etc. They further claim to cure skin diseases and psoriasis, all with no side effects. Also, the visuals showing the images of before and after the treatment were considered to be misleading.
- Global Hospitals: The advertisement claims successful treatment of liver cirrhosis, liver fibrosis, jaundice, hepatitis, liver cancer, pancreatitis, valisan, bowel cancer, vomiting blood, water clot in stomach and legs and all other severe problems related to liver, stomach, biliary duct and pancreas. They further claim to be the World’s Most Comprehensive Centre for multi-organ transplantation.
- SS Herbal Industries (Aloebliss Aloevera Fibrous Juice): The advertisement of Aloebliss Aloevera Fibrous Juice helps strengthen one’s immune system, regulates blood sugar and blood pressure, and controls diabetes.
- Husn-E-Doshiza: The advertisement claims Husn-E-Doshiza with Maujn and oil, as a solution to increase the beauty of females by beautifying and shaping up undeveloped breasts and making them look attractive.
- Rightway Enterprises (Dr. Green Tulsi): The advertisement claims Dr. Green Tulsi to be Dr. Green Tulsi No.1.
- Cancer Care: The advertisement claims the product to be an Ayurvedic sure shot medicine to cure cancer and live a healthy life.
- CENO India - CENOS Range of products (Diaba Drops Capsule): The advertisement of Diaba Drops Capsule claims that it is a completely Ayurvedic medicine to cure diabetes, control sugar and bring it to a normal level with no side effects.
- Krishna Kripa Industries (KK Cardi Care Herbal Tea): The advertisement of KK Cardi Care Herbal Tea claims to contain no nicotine or caffeine and is useful for all types of heart ailments. The advertisement further claims the product help clears blocked arteries, strengthens heart muscles, controls high blood pressure, controls high cholesterol and relieves chest pain. It also claims to be a completely herbal food supplement for one’s heart.
- SBS Biotech (Dr. Ortho Ayurvedic Oil and Capsules): The advertisement for Dr. Ortho Ayurvedic Oil and Capsules claims to be Asia's Most Promising Brand validated by consumers and industry and also Asia's Most Trusted Brand in pain reliever segment.
- Sunmarg HillS (Pix-50 Capsule): The advertisement of Pix-50 Capsule claims that the product is enriched with Shilajit and Kesar, is a sex stimulant and rejuvenator. An all in one capsule to provides unlimited fun and also helps regain lost masculinity, be happy, invigorating, boosting energy, aphrodisiac.
- Deys Medical (Keo Karpin Hair oil): The advertisement of Keo Karpin Hair oil claims to be the most trusted brand which is misleading as the product advertised is amongst one of the top 5 brands in Hair Oil category as Most Trusted Brands of 2014.
TVC Lifesciences Limited: The advertisement claims that the herbs present in slim tea increase
sthe metabolism of the body which in turn helps in faster digestion for a person to remain slim and fit. They further claim that the product has anti-oxidant quality which helps to digest food so that the carbohydrate present in food does not convert into fats and provides energy to the body by converting itself into protein. The also claim “Those who are fit and who want to maintain their body weight shall consume Doctor Slim Tea in morning and in evening”, “If you want to reduce your weight then consume Doctor Slim Tea 4-5 times in a day”, “Doctor Slim Tea has no side effects like ordinary tea”.
- Planet Ayurveda: The advertisement claims 100% natural cure for diabetes with effective sugar control with no side effects, reducing the HBA1C levels to seven percent.
- Eli Pharmaceuticals Private Limited (Eli Melas Ultra Fairness Cream): The advertisement for Eli Melas Ultra Fairness Cream claims to be 100% herbal and made for sun protection, which helps get rid of wrinkles, dark spots and dark complexion.
- MK Agrotech Private Limited (Sunpure Sunflower oil): The advertisement claims to boost your immunity with chemical free processed oil and intact with natural vitamins.
- SSR: The advertisement of the product claims, “See the difference because of reducing 24 K.G Weight”. Also, the visuals showing the images of before and after the treatment were considered to be misleading.
- Raylon Industries (Regen Hair Vitalizer): The advertisement for Regen Hair Vitalizer claims to be a clinically proven herbal breakthrough to treat alopecia and prevent all hair problems such as hair fall in men, women and children with no side-effects and also helps hair growth naturally
- Pitambari Products Private Limited (Pitambari Sapta Shakti Til Oil): The advertisement of Pitambari Sapta Shakti Til Oil claims to control cholesterol level in blood.
- Dr Paresh Patel Remedies: The advertisement claims to help remove blockages from any nerves in the body that can be 100% opened without LLLT laser surgery.
- Dibecure - Dibecure+ Range of Products: The advertisement claims the product to be 100% Ayurvedic which helps to get freedom from sugar with zero side effects.
- Love Life: The advertisement claims the product to help increase the penis size and length by four to five inches and helps increase the sex time to 40-45mins, with a 50% off discount offer.
- Valkhades Ayurvedic: The advertisement claims to provide a treatment without any surgeries with full recovery possible and no side effects.
- Oshea Herbals (Phytoslim Anti Cellulite Cream Gel): The advertisement of Phyto Slim Anti Cellulite Cream Gel claims to work on shrinking the adipose tissue of fat and cellulite. They further claim that the product contains vitamins and other precious botanical actives that make the skin more elastic. They then claim that with daily use, fat and cell deposits start to disappear, reducing the appearance of cellulite with no stubborn fat.
- Shathayu Ayurveda (Shirodhara): The advertisement claims that more than 40% of Indians who are in stress look out for a good relaxation technique. They further claim that Shirodhara is the best way to get relaxed.
- Delhi Clinic: The advertisement claims 100% guaranteed treatment, completely ayurvedic medicines which help preventing kidney stones, neoplasm of the uterus / PCOD, sex problems, piles, obesity and women diseases. The advertisement visual implying enhancement of sexual pleasure was found misleading.
- Life Slimming & Cosmetic Clinic: The advertisement claims the FDA cleared clinic which has been voted for providing the best body treatment with Steam Cell therapy for hair growth, without any side effects.
- FB Herbal Dawakhana (Obyzile Herbal Powder): The advertisement claims Obyzile Herbal Powder helps maintain a slim figure with improved breast shape and reduced abdominal fat. The advertisement also claims that the product helps to reduce fat and obesity giving one’s body a sexy and beautiful look and cures the swelling in the uterus.
- X-Lent Range of Products: The advertisement claims awakening passion by ending disappointment, also develops extra stoppage and energy and cures weakness after sex. They also claim, “Try the oil &capsule, it will never fail”.
- Satya Sai Aushadhalay: The advertisement claims successful treatment of sexual problems, World’s No. 1 America’s penis enlarger with better sex capacity increasing the sex time upto 30-40 minutes. They further claim 100% cure for nil sperm count and impotency with no side effects and results for lifetime or else get double amount back.
- Asian Bariatrics: The advertisement showcases before and after visuals, which are misleading. Along with which they claim to get rid of obesity, diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol and joint pain.
- Pilolet Capsule: The advertisement claims that the product is a completely herbal and Ayurvedic solution for chronic bleeding and vaadi piles. They also claim that the product helps to get rid of the bleeding and the Jactitation, reducing the swelling and infection, giving relief from pain and itching with no pain and side effects. They further claim that lakhs of people have used to product and got rid of piles for a lifetime.
- Mayuri Heena Herbals Private Limited (Mayuri Hair Oil): The advertisement claims Mayuri hair oil to be 100% Ayurvedic, providing hair solutions for hair fall in 15 days and dandruff in five days. They also claim that the hair grows faster with its regular use, helps in growing new hair within three months and stops hairfall and hair greying by removing dandruff from the roots.
- Dr V.D. Meel Manorog Hospital & Research Centre: The advertisement of the hospital claims successful treatment for afeem, doda post, bhang, gaanja, fortwin finargan, alcohol, tobacco, intoxication pills etc.
- Janta Hospital: The advertisement claims successful treatment of slip disk diseases, backbone twist, leg pain, cervical backbone, fracture due to accident, full or half stoppage of functioning of one’s body, leg and arms, joint pains, paralysis, polio and backbone disorders.
- Gupta Clinic: The advertisement claims 100% solution for sexual weakness and sexual diseases in 14 days.
- Prithvi HealthcarePvt. Ltd. (The Earth Healing Centre): The advertisement claims Earth Healing Centre to be Bangalore’s most ambidextrous ayurvedic IP Hospital which was unsubstantiated.
- L’Oreal India Private Limited (L’Oreal Absolut Repair Lipidium): The advertisement of the product claims to erase 100% damage in just 40 minutes. The claims, “Serie Expert's new Lipidium Technology not just repairs damaged hair but reconstructs it from the inside out - with its potent lipid - based reconstruction cocktail”, were not substantiated.
- La Belle Bodycare Pvt. Ltd (La Belle Slimming and skin Clinic): The advertisement claims 15 years’ experience which was found to be misleading.
- L’Oreal India Private Limited (Garnier Men Oil Clear Face Wash): The claim of Garnier Men Oil Clear Face Wash to have 5 times more power to remove dirt (Vs grade I soap bar) was not substantiated.
- Apollo Health and Lifestyle Limited (Nova Specialty Hospitals): The advertisement claims loss of 80 percent of excess body weight with minimal invasive procedures and that bariatric surgery is a safe procedure were not substantiated with supporting data.
- Keva Ayurveda Health Care Pvt. Ltd (Panchakarma): The advertisement of the product claims to help a person reduce weight upto five kilograms, which was unsubstantiated.
- Marico Limited (Parachute Advanced Coconut Hair Oil): The TVC of the product had Disclaimers/supers which were not clearly readable, and were not in the same language as the voice over of the TVC.
- Vrushali’s Slimming Centre: The advertisement of the slimming centre claims weight loss with assured inch loss by losing three kilograms in three weeks and four kilograms in seven weeks. The advertisement also claims “Copyrighted Workout Patterns for Obesity Reduction, Figure Management & Diabetes Control. Unique Abdominal Workout on Patented Pillow”.
- Mansi Ayurvedic Pharmacy (Diabetes care churan): The advertisement claims “formulation is of Ayurvedic herbs and controls blood and urine sugar level in diabetics”, “allopathic drug dosage and insulin need will be reduced or completely eliminated”, “it increases insulin production from the pancreas” and “elixir for diabetics”.
- La Grande Herbs & Pharma Limited (Bye Bye Madhumeh): The advertisement claim sure shot diabetes solution with complete ayurvedic medicines with no side effects, where lakhs of patients trust the product for 40 years. The advertisement further claims “Take 1 spoon powder twice a day with lukewarm water and get rid of Diabetes and its side effects”.
- Dr. Ashwini’s Obesity & Homoeo Health Care Centre: The advertisement claims weight loss without surgery, dieting, gym and yoga.
- Shathayu Ayurveda (Svarana Bindu Prashna): The advertisement claims “Svarana Bindu Prashna improves the concentration, memory and creative learning” and “Improves immunity and intelligence”, were not substantiated with efficacy data of the product.
- Marico Ltd. (Hair & Care): The advertisement claims “reduces hair fall by 50%” was substantiated when the product is compared Vs untreated hair. The TVC is misleading by omission in the absence of appropriate disclaimers of reference of comparison.
- Freedom Eye Laser Centre Pvt. Ltd.: The advertisement claims freedom from glasses with the latest wave front. They further claim to be the one and only successfully running laser Centre for 14 years with USA Approved FDA.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd (Dove Intense Repair Therapy Shampoo): The advertisement uses the tagline “That’s Why, New Dove”, where the new element in the product is not signified. Thus the claim of “New” in the advertisement copy is misleading by ambiguity in the manner the claim and qualifier are presented, and misleading by omission in the absence of a qualifier in the body text as only the pack design is new.
- VCare Health Clinic Private Limited (VCare 24K Gold Soap): The advertisement claims VCare 24K Gold Soap is India’s first 24K gold soap, which penetrates real gold particles into the skin, which is not substantiated.
- New Vision Laser Centres: The advertisement claims “18 years of service” which was not matching with the Company’s name. Also, the claim, “in service since last 18 years”, was false and not substantiated.
- Amar Products India (Collegian Cream): The advertisement claims that Collegian cream is useful for pimples, black spots, small pox, eczema, dark circles around the eyes, freckles, stretch marks, skin cuts and burns on the skin, wounds etc., which helps reduce wrinkles and increases fairness, which can also be used as a facial or after shave cream, with no side effects. They further claims “Bring the Collegian cream today which is completely domestic, trusted, reliable and famous for more than 5 years. Collegian cream makes your skin beautiful and fair, Feel it yourself”, “The speciality of this cream is that it is useful for the children as well as the old aged male/female and along with this; it is a boon for pimples. Collegian cream is enriched with not just one or two but with 12 qualities”, which were not substantiated.
- Dr Balwinder Singh Walia: The advertisement claims guaranteed cure from the root for acne, freckles, white spots, fulvaihari, skin diseases, chronic psoriasis, which were not substantiated.
The CCC found following claims in the advertisements by 57 advertisers were not substantiated and, thus, violated ASCI Guidelines for Advertising of Educational Institutions. Hence complaints against these advertisements were UPHELD.
- SCIT Community College of IT & Management: The advertisement of the institution claims “Job from the Very First Day of Training”.
- St. Margaret Engineering College: The advertisement claims “Assured International Jobs” and “M.O.U with Industries for placement, training & Industrial visits”.
- ICS Coaching Centre: The advertisement claims that the institution provides a guarantee of Government Jobs.
- CL Educate Ltd: The advertisement of the institution claims, “Hall of fame-2013 AIR- 4 in BMS (FMS), BMS FMS”, “call getters Isha Srivastava, Tushar Yadav, Vani Vivek, Harish Vishwanathan”, “IPM IIM Indore call getters Pradyumna, Abhaas Abhishek, Anukriti Dungdung”, “36 individual calls in IPM IIM Indore 2013”, “635+ selections in IP BBA”.
- Shiva Illuminate Private Limited: The advertisement claims, “India’s only institute who provides Government Jobs”, “100% Success Guarantee”.
- Sun Infosystems Private Limited: The advertisement claims learn from leaders, become a CCIE and get guaranteed offer letter in-hand on the spot.
- The Sagar School: The advertisement claims to have won ‘International School Award 2014-2017’.
- Karim’s IAS Study Circle: The advertisement claims the institution to be Kerala's No. 1 IAS Coaching Institution.
- Seed Infotech Limited: The advertisement of the institution claims one student placed every hour in an MNC.
- Touchstone Educationals Private Limited: The advertisement claims to win No. 1. IELTS Institute of India Award from IDP since 2009 till date.
- B.E.S.T College (Brainstorm Educational Solutions Trust): The institute claims to provide degree within 6 months-B.A, B.Com, B.B.A, M.A, M.Com, M.B.A, Dip. & B.Tech etc. They further claim all courses for UG and PG level which are UGC, DEC, AICTE/STATE & Central Govt. Approved.
Complaints against advertisements of all educational institutes listed below mostly are UPHELD because of unsubstantiated claims that they ‘provide 100% placement/AND/OR they claim to be the No.1 in their respective fields’.
Calcutta Business School, Asian School of Business, Defense Career Academy, SkyWay School, Shanti Business School, MP Academy, Manju Gita Mishra College (MGM), ITCE Institute of technical and Career Education, Gandikota Business School – GBS, Geetham Techno School, Dolphin International Academy, Alpine Private Industrial Training Institute, Keshwanand Defence Career Academy, Entrepreneurship and Management Processes International Business School, Feria IT Solutions, Geetha Shishu Shikshana Sangha - GSSS Institute of Engineering & Technology for Women, The IL & FS Financial Centre, St. Joseph's College of Engineering and Technology, Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd (TCIL), United world School of Business, Nirwans Charitable Trust (SN College of Nursing), Telly Soft Service Private Limited, Educational Mission of Information Technology, British Learning and Accessories Private Limited, Radian IAS Academy, Excel Educational Institute, Jyothy Institute of Technology, CLAT Possible, Shimla Nursing College, Pathfinder, Chandigarh Group of Colleges, Mahindra Education Institution – Mahindra École Centrale, Shanti Educational Initiatives Limited – Shanti Juniors, Indian School of eBusiness, Lakshya CA Campus, 99 Academy & Salon, Head Turners Hair Academy, Snap Education, Parshi Training & Technical Services Private Limited - CAD DESK India, International Institute of Hotel Management, New Gurukul Coaching Institute, Institute of Finance, Banking and Insurance, Synergem, Yuwam Education Private Limited, Ambition Institute and Dashmesh Academy.
PRINT & BROADCAST
- TV Today Network Limited (Headlines Today): The advertisement’s claim “News Today at nine beats the Newshour in six metros” is misleading. This claim quoting TAM source violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
- TV Today Network Limited (Headlines Today): The advertisement’s claim “News Today at nine beats the Newshour four out of five days”, is misleading. This claim quoting TAM source violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
- TV Today Network Limited (Headlines Today): The advertisement’s claim “News Today at nine beats the Newshour in Delhi + Mumbai”, was not substantiated and is misleading. This claim quoting TAM source violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
- Times Television Network (Movies Now): The advertisement of the channel claims to be No. 1 English movie channel, which is not substantiated. This claim quoting TAM source violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
- Times Television Network (Movies Now): The advertisement of the channel claims to be No. 1 English movie channel consistently, which is not substantiated. This claim quoting TAM source violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
- Madhyamam Broadcasting Limited (MediaOne TV): The advertisement of the channel claims to occupy the urban sky, which was misleading. The claim quoting TAM sources violated the the TAM guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
- The Sandesh Limited (Sandesh Samachar): The channel claims to be first choice of every Gujarati- Sandesh News No. 1. Also, the channel claims to leave behind ratings of the National news channels, which is a misleading claim. This claim quoting TAM sources violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparision istoo short and thereby confers an artificial advantage of the advertiser.
- Matrubhumi Printing & Publishing Co. Ltd.: The advertisement of the channel claims to be No. 2 amongst other Malayalam News channels which was not substantiated and found misleading. This claim quoting TAM source violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
- Malayala Manorama Co. Ltd. (MMN Manorama News): The advertisement of the channel claims that it is Kerala’s No. 1 news channel and the news they telecast is better than Asia Net, Mathrubhumi News, Reporter and People. This claim quoting TAM source violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
- The Sandesh Limited (Sandesh Samachar): The channels claim to be News No.1, which is unsubstantiated with the TAM ratings, were false and misleading. These claim quoting TAM source violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
- INX News Pvt Ltd (India’s No. 1 English News channel): The advertisement claims News X to be India’s No. 1 English News Channel which is false and misleading as the source quoted for this claim of TAM ratings violated the TAM Guidelines. The period of comparison is too short and thereby confers an artificial advantage upon the advertiser.
E- COMMERCE & TELESHOPPING
- Telebrands India (Wax Vac): The advertisement showcases a kid using the product to clean his ears, shows a dangerous act which is likely to encourage minors to emulate such act in a manner which could cause harm or injury.
- Naaptol Online Shopping Ltd (Aluminium Secure Wallet): The advertisement’s TVC claims “the product prevents theft of information from contact-less RFID cards”, was not substantiated and was considered to be misleading. The depiction of a chip-based card as an RFID card is misleading. PAN and Aadhar cards issued by Indian Government agencies have no RFID features. Hence the claim of protection purportedly provided by the product in the context presented “PAN card and Aadhar card are also safe in this’, appears misleading as to information skimming. The TVC shows tests against similar products but the tests are not of skimming of RFID information. The tests shown are like those of dropping wallets.
- Trendsutra Platform Services Pvt. Ltd. (Pepperfry.com): The advertisement on their website states, “30 day No-Questions-Asked Money Back guarantee”, which implies that full amount will be refunded whereas the money back is subject to conditions, which is misleading. The terms mentioned in the advertisement of “return this item within 30 days from the date of invoice”, are false.
- India Webportal Pvt. Ltd. (India.com): The health portal “No. 1 Indian Healthsite” was not substantiated and was also considered to be misleading.
- Pisces Eservices Pvt. Ltd (Foodpanda.in): The website claims ‘’Buy one, get one free’’ which was found misleading by omission in the absence of a disclaimer qualifying the terms and conditions of the offer.
FOOD & BEVERAGES
- TKG Food Industries (Mr Wheat Ready To Cook): The advertisement claims Mr. Wheat Ready to cook prevents type 2 Diabetes, prevents childhood asthma, prevents heart attack and gallstones, control premature ageing, improves body metabolism, protects against the breast cancer, controls obesity (especially for women) and reduces chronic inflammation.
- Cremica Agro Food Products (Cremica Biscuits): The advertisement claims Cremica Healthy Oatmeal Cookies are rich in Vitamins which was not substantiated with supporting data
- Emami Agrotech Limited (Emami healthy tasty range and products): The advertisement claims Emami healthy tasty range and products helps in reducing risk of heart diseases, which was not substantiated with proof of efficacy.
- Ankur Chemfood Ltd (Ankur Salt): The advertisement of Ankur salt claims “In comparison to that of ordinary Salt, Ankur Salt has less percentage of sulphate that can help get protected from the disease like stone”, “Dr. Salt- Low sodium salt controls the blood pressure and body weight”, “Salt Plus - Consuming Iron- Fortified Salt gives protection from the diseases occurring because of lack of iron in the blood and also increases the percentage of hemoglobin in the blood”, were not substantiated.
- Modi Naturals Ltd. (Oleev Active): The advertisement claims “Oleev Active better than Canola Oil”, “Lowers cholesterol & protects the heart from life threatening diseases”, “1/3rd Lesser absorption than canola oil”, “Special non-sticky formulation ensures less absorption and lowers fat consumption”, were not substantiated adequately. Advertiser has provided only a test method on a lab scale and not actual cooking situation data. The claim “10x More Antioxidants” was misleading by implication when read in conjunction with the sub-bullet point regarding cholesterol lowering claim.
- GlaxoSmithKline Healthcare Ltd (Horlicks): The TVC suggests that consumption of Horlicks can be initiated at the time of exams for better concentration. The visual presentations give the impression of instant effect on consumption of the product whereas the longevity of the consumption of the product is necessary for efficacy. The TVC was considered misleading.
- GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd (Junior Horlicks): The advertisement claim of “96% mothers choose Junior Horlicks”, is not unique to Junior Horlicks as other competitive brand users also use those brands for the same benefit of brain development/weight gain, etc. The study findings were considered to be favorably biased for the advertised product.
- Vimal Oil & Foods Limited (Vimal Range of Products): The advertisement for Vimal Range of Products claims VIMAL lite, helps maintaining healthy heart, which is unsubstantiated.
- Parle Products P. Ltd (Parle G Biscuits): The advertisement shows the scene of “filling a balloon with the air of an exhaust of a two wheeler” which shows a dangerous act which is likely to encourage minors to emulate such an act in a manner which could cause harm or injury.
- Today Tea Limited (Today Premium Tea): The advertisement of Today Premium Tea claims zero fat, rich in calcium and provides energy. The Website claims that “In 2012, TTL unfurled the awareness about the Antioxidants and thus grew to be the market leader. The outcome of this move attracted several brands to follow the same path”. These claims were not substantiated.
- Cargill India Pvt. Ltd. (Leonardo Olive Oil): The advertisement of Leonardo Olive Oil claims to cook food with one-third the quantity of oils compared to other oils, making the food lighter and less oily, it is three times light, were misleading by ambiguity as the lab studies were not specific to the food items depicted in the visual. The above referred claims read in conjunction with the tagline, “khata rahe mera dil”, are misleading by implication and encourage excessive consumption of food items such as potato fries etc.
- Emami Agrotech Limited (Emami Healthy & Tasty Sunflower Oil): The advertisement of Emami Healthy & Tasty Sunflower Oil claims “Healthy Heart”, “Better eyesight”, “Strong Bones”, “Strong immunity”, did not hold true for the product, were not substantiated and were misleading by implication.
- Sanwaria Agro Oils Ltd (Sanwaria Refined Soyabean Oil): The advertisement of Sanwaria Refined Soyabean Oil claims to have omega 3 and vitamin E that sharpens one’s mind, which stands unsubstantiated.
- Meenakshi Constructions (Jewel Meadows): The advertisement claims luxury amenities and facilities like: club house, multipurpose hall, indoor games, yoga/meditation hall, gymnasium, indoor theatre, library swimming pool; children play area and super market in the township, which were found false and not substantiated with proof.
- Godrej Consumer Products Ltd (Goodknight Active Plus): The advertisement showcases a small girl operating the machine, though the leaflet – insert of the product says that the vapourizing liquid machine should be kept away from the reach of the children. Thus the TVC which shows this dangerous act is likely to encourage minors to emulate such act in a manner which could cause harm or injury.
- Ralson (India) Limited (Ralco Tyres): The advertisement showcases visual of “pillion riders shown without wearing helmets on a two wheeler” promotes an unsafe practice.
- Lodha Developers P. Ltd (Lodha Splendora): The advertisement claims Lodha Splendora to have India’s longest swimming pool which was not proven.
- The Park Hotels: The advertisement of the hotel claimed the free amenities which were advertised as part of the Residency room package offer were false and misleading.
- SpiceJet Ltd.: The television commercial stated that flight fare was available at Rs. 599 only, which was false.
- Diamond Enterprises (Puncture Lock): The advertisement for Puncture lock claims to helps seal puncture permanently and find permanent solution for the tyre’s life.
- Fena Limited (Nip Active Dish Wash Bar): The advertisement of Nip Active Dish Wash Bar had supers which were not clearly legible. The advertisement contravened ASCI’s Guidelines for Supers.
- Bharti Airtel Ltd (Airtel My Plan): The advertisement claims that the STD pack to provide 65 minutes of STD calls free and a local call pack offers 90 minutes of local calls free, which was considered to be misleading.
- Ambuja Neotia (Raichak on Ganges): The advertisement claim “Book two nights three days with complimentary breakfast for Rs. 4,999 onwards and avail within 31 March 2016” was false.
- Vidhilikhit Bhavishya: The claims in the advertisement of providing remedial actions on a host of problems such as marriage, jobs, health issues etc., were false and not substantiated. Also, the claims were misleading by exaggeration and are likely to lead to grave or widespread disappointment in the minds of consumers.
- Dwarkadhis Projects Private Limited (Casa Romana): The advertisement of Casa Romana claim “The houses will give upto 50% savings on electricity for life time”, was not substantiated adequately.
- Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. (Honda): The claim that “Honda scooters give mileage of 60 kmpl”, was not substantiated with ARAI certification. Also, the TVC is misleading by omission of a disclaimer quoting the above referred source for the claim.
- 3M India Limited (Scotch Brite): The advertisement claim of the superiority of the scrubber to “last three times longer” was not substantiated.
- Kent Ro System Ltd (Kent Water Purifier): The advertisement claims Kent Water Purifier helps remove chemicals and pesticides totally from vegetables and fruits which is an absolute claim and was not substantiated adequately. They also claim, “Clean with Kent Vegetable Purifier and eat 100% healthy”, which is misleading by exaggeration.
- Tata Motors Ltd (Tata ACE CNG): The leaflet of Tata ACE CNG contains a tabular chart providing the comparison between the features of TATA ACE CNG and another competitor company’s vehicle. The comparisons made in the leaflet were not factual and were not substantiated. Also, the comparisons made were likely to mislead the consumers about the product advertised and with which it is compared. The leaflet unfairly disparaged another product directly.
- Ma Dhan Laxmi Yantra: The advertisement claims that the product is for attaining better finances and assets, with no evidences or adequate substantiation.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd (Surf Excel Matic): The advertisement claims Surf Excel Matic for “tough stain removal” was misleading by omission in the absence of a disclaimer qualifying the conditions and comparison under which the claim is tenable.
Stuart Bowden talks about purchase journey, the revised version of Cannes Lions, Wavemaker Indiaâ€™s performance and a lot more
Emery says everything that Unilever CMO Keith Weed says has a touch of genius. He also talks about his expectations from Cannes, WPP without Sir Martin Sorrell and his love for Mindshare India.
In an interaction with exchange4media, PC Musthafa, CEO & Co-Founder iD Fresh Food shares how the brand deals with competition and marketing strategies followed by them.
Varun Raina, Marketing Manager, Airbnb India speaks to exchange4media about the successful #LiveThere campaign and how Bollywood helps them connect with its young consumer
A total of 183 advertisements were picked up by ASCIâ€™s Suo Moto surveillance
Communication experts say that the recent Airtel controversy on Twitter is a lesson for consumer-facing brands to rejig their customer support and make it more apt for social media