EIKONA Connect: PR Industry gets better at India Inc.’s adverse news management
India Inc. has seen a noticeable reduction in negative news getting published in the media. This means that the Indian PR Industry is doing a good job of adverse news management
Published - Mar 30, 2016 8:04 AM Updated: Mar 30, 2016 8:04 AM
exchange4media.com and Eikona, the Neutral, Earned Media Planning, Audit & Advisory Service, jointly bring to you an infographic fortnightly series called EIKONA connect. This series will focus on quick interesting nuggets of PR/Earned Media Trends and dynamics faced by the Professionals of Corporate Communications & PR Firms. The objective is to create and inculcate informed opinion about PR and aid towards Scientific Decision Making Process.
Social, political and economic crisis is a regular occurrence in India. However, what closely relates to the PR Industry’s heart pertains to corporate crisis or those related to negative news of brands. Notwithstanding whether the crisis we see or read in news is factual or holds any merit, however, it does hurt a brand’s image once in news. This calls for high skill sets from the PR Firms and Corporate Communications machinery to manage or control negative or adverse news in media.
The good news is that India Inc. has seen a noticeable reduction in negative news getting published in the media. This means that the Indian PR Industry is doing a good job of adverse news management.
Based on the industry average of print coverage of top 15 industry verticals in print, the annual industry average of negative stories in the overall news coverage pie has seen a reduction.
In the chart above, in the year 2013, the industry average of negative coverage in the overall news quantity pie was around 4.9%. (The remaining 95.1% of the news comprised of beneficial and factual news) Good news is that this figure has seen a further drop to 3.7% in 2015.
What could the possible reasons for this positive reduction be:
i) PR Machinery (Corporate Communications certainly) is spending more or quality time with client’s and organizations, thus helping them identify and immune possible crisis triggers.
ii) Nowadays, a lot of crisis is getting highlighted first in social media. This is giving the PR Machinery observation, response and management time. For example Corporate Communications working closely with their ORM and CRM teams to address a negative discussion online. Often this prevents the crisis news getting published in mass media like print.
iii) Effective Media Relations is becoming more of a science than a mere formula. Journalists and their journalism is both a science and art. PR Machinery is spending a lot of time understanding a journalist and their writing styles/preferences. Explaining the factual points of a crisis to a journalist becomes easier and effective with such background information in hand.For more updates, be socially connected with us on
WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Youtube