Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Mumbai plumps for CAS faster

Mumbai plumps for CAS faster

Author | Source: Business Line | Monday, Feb 19,2007 7:39 AM

Mumbai plumps for CAS faster

Mumbai seems to be the most responsive city to embrace CAS among the three metros — Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata — where it got implemented in January.

According to an AC Nielsen study, commissioned by TAM Media Research, 25 per cent (1.39 lakh homes) of 5.48 lakh cable homes in the CAS-mandated zone of Mumbai have set-top-boxes (STBs) or direct-to-home (DTH) connections. And another 20 per cent (1.09 lakh homes) is awaiting installation. Delhi is the second with 14 per cent (.97 lakh homes) of 6.76 lakh cable homes converted to CAS and another 6 per cent (.43 lakh) await connectivity. Kolkata comes third with 10 per cent (.41 lakh homes) penetration. There are 4.09 lakh cable homes in the mandated zone of the city. According to the study, another 11 per cent (.46 lakh) awaits installation in Kolkata.

In all, of the 16.33 lakh cable homes that fall under the CAS-mandated zones (this represents approximately 21 per cent of the total cable homes across the three metros), 2.77 lakh homes (17 per cent) already opted for an STB or a DTH connection. And an additional 1.98 lakh homes (12 per cent) subscribed but are awaiting installation. Cumulatively, 4.75 lakh homes had subscribed representing 29 per cent of the CAS-mandated homes in the three metros. Approximately, 21 per cent of the cable homes in the three metros fall under the CAS-mandated area (zone 1). As expected, price remains to be the predominant reason among homes that chose to watch only free-to-air channels, says the study.

Tags: e4m

Write A Comment