The exchange4media Group is on course to recognise and felicitate achievers in the television news sphere at the Indian News Broadcasting Awards (INBA) 2010. The third edition of the INB Awards will be held on September 1 in Delhi. The distinguished jury came together in Delhi on August 21 to deliberate on the shortlists for the INB Awards.
As in the previous two years, the jury for the INB Awards this year, too, comprises eminent personalities who understand media and news media. Vinod Mehta, Editor-in-Chief, Outlook Group is Chairman of the jury. The other jury members include: Tarun Basu, Director and Chief Editor, IANS; Hormusji N Cama, Director, Bombay Samachar and past President, INS; author Mukul Kesavan; Shiv Mukerjee, Former Diplomat, High Commissioner to the UK; social activist Sabrina Lall; Shashi Shekhar, Editor-in-Chief, Hindustan; Jwalant Swaroop, Director - Ad Sales, Lokmat Group; Sunil Vysyaprath, Executive Creative Director, Wieden+Kennedy; and Hoshie Ghaswala, President - Publishing, Cyber Media India Ltd.
Commenting on the Awards this year, Jury Chairman Vinod Mehta said, “As Jury Chairman, it gives me immense pleasure to judge the INB Awards. The judging procedure was smooth and hassle free. The decisions were taken unanimously and the most credible ones have been chosen.”
In its third year, the awards categories have been increased to 30 following the overwhelming response from the entire media fraternity. There are four broad categories of awards: Programming, Personality, Advertising, and Leadership.
Type A: The Programming Awards
1. Best Live Programming of the Year 2010 – Hindi
2. Best Live Programming of the Year 2010 – English
To be awarded to the Best On-Air Coverage of a Live Event in Hindi and English. This coverage should necessarily be non-stop for a minimum of 100 minutes (including commercial breaks). Note: daily stock market coverage doesn’t not qualify, however stock market coverage of a specific day (market crash, Sensex touching x k) can be entered.
3. Best News Show of the Year 2010 – Hindi
4. Best News Show of the Year 2010 - English
To be awarded to the Best News Show in Hindi and English aired of a minimum duration of 20 minutes (including commercial breaks). This could be in the form of on-the-spot reportage, background reports and/ or interviews/ panel discussions.
5. Best News Documentary of the Year 2010 – Hindi
6. Best News Documentary of the Year 2010 – English
To be awarded to the Best News Documentary of the Year in Hindi and English aired of a minimum combined duration of 40 minutes (including commercial breaks). Combined duration includes a serialised documentary with the same theme. The emphasis is on indepth treatment of an issue.
Type A: The Personality Awards
1. News Videographer of the Year 2010 – Hindi
2. News Videographer of the Year 2010 – English
To be awarded to a Videographer who has done outstanding work in capturing footage and action. He or she should have produced that’s out of the ordinary in terms of quality and which may have required much skill and courage
3. Business News Anchor of the Year 2010 - Hindi
4. Business News Anchor of the Year 2010 – English
To be awarded to an anchor who is widely trusted by the industry and the audience. We want to award an anchor who has demonstrated insight and knowledge of business.
5. Sports News Anchor of the Year 2010 - Hindi
6. Sports News Anchor of the Year 2010 – English
To be awarded to an anchor who has demonstrated insight and knowledge of sports. Ideally, we would like to reward an anchor who is comfortable handling issues around multiple sports.
7. News Reporter of the Year 2010 – Hindi
8. News Reporter of the Year 2010 - English
To be awarded to a reporter who has done stellar work in reportage. This could be investigative in nature, exposing crime and corruption, outstanding coverage of an event or a report/ news programme highlighting developmental issues or simply an issue of continuing interest.
9. News Show Host of the Year 2010 – Hindi
10. News Show Host of the Year 2010 - English
To be awarded to a host of a news and current events show that is popular and intelligent. We want to award a news show host who has demonstrated insight and knowledge of India and whose interviews and panel discussions have been probing and asked the tough questions.
1. Best Promo of a Programme/ Channel 2010 - Hindi
2. Best Promo of a Programme/ Channel 2010 – English
To be awarded to the most creative on-air commercial/promotion for a television programme, promotion campaign or a channel.
1. Young Professional of the Year 2010 (Business)
2. Young Professional of the Year 2010 (Journalist)
To be awarded to an enterprising and influential young professional – under-30 years of age - of the Indian News TV industry today. We want to award the young professional – from amongst a journalist and someone from the business teams of a news television company -- who has most significantly challenged the industry/professional norms, benchmarks and practices, as applicable.
3. News Television Editor-in-Chief of the Year 2010 - Hindi
4. News Television Editor-in-Chief of the Year 2010 - English
To be awarded to the editorial head of a news channel who has spearheaded insightful and popular news programmes. We want to award the editor who has championed successful new ideas in 2009-2010 and helped in the continuing leadership of the channel.
5. Regional Language News Broadcaster of the Year 2010 - North
6. Regional Language News Broadcaster of the Year 2010 - West
7. Regional Language News Broadcaster of the Year 2010 - East
8. Regional Language News Broadcaster of the Year 2010 - South
To award the CEO of regional language news broadcaster in Northern, Western, Eastern and Southern India which has a strong customer base, financial position, high editorial quality, ratings, ad revenues and leadership. We want to award excellence in regional language news broadcasting in 2009-2010.
9. News Television CEO of the Year 2010
To be awarded to a professional – CEO - responsible for outstanding growth and success of a news channel. We want to award the professional that has most impacted the Indian News TV industry and market in 2009 – 2010.
10. News Television Entrepreneur of the Year 2010
To be awarded to a promoter who has a visionary’s ambition, a healthy appetite for business risk, a belief in ‘integrity’ plus a track record for financial performance, catalysing change, inspiring stakeholders, impressing shareholders and institutional investors. We want to award the most successful entrepreneur in 2009-2010.
11. The Hall of Fame for Lifetime Contribution to Industry (Entrepreneur)
12. The Hall of Fame for Lifetime Contribution to Industry (Professional)
To award a veteran of the Indian News Broadcasting Industry having the most significant contribution to the news television craft and business.
The INB Awards was launched in 2008 by the exchange4media Group with an objective to honour television news professionals for their extraordinary contribution to the industry. The first edition had 13 categories and winners were chosen by an eminent jury panel comprising Tarun Tejpal (Jury Chairman), Prasoon Joshi, GVL Narasimha Rao, and Rahul Kansal, among others. The 13 awardees were given the trophies by the Chief Guest and the then Minister for Labour and Employment, Oscar Fernandes.
In its second year in 2009, the number of categories was expanded from 13 to 17. Separate awards were presented to professionals from English and Hindi channels in six out of the 17 categories.
The INB Awards 2010 will recognise work and achievements during the period April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010.