Top Story

e4m_logo.png

Home >> Media - TV >> Article

ICC CWC'11: ICC bans news channels from World Cup coverage

29-March-2011
Font Size   16
Share
ICC CWC'11:  ICC bans news channels from World Cup coverage

In an unexpected, late night decision on March 28, 2011, the International Cricket Council (ICC) cancelled the World Cup match coverage accreditation of broadcast journalists. This means that broadcast media of the country cannot cover the remaining matches of the ICC World Cup 2011.The journalists are also deprived of attending pre- and post-match press conferences, and they cannot even cover practice sessions of the teams.

In an e-mail sent to broadcast journalists by the ICC, the cricket body cancelled their official approval for the coverage for remaining matches of World Cup 2011 without citing any reason. This applies to only TV journalist as of now.

Meanwhile, the Broadcast Editors’ Association (BEA) has condemned the decision of the ICC in strong words. Shazi Zaman, President, BEA, said, “ICC is withdrawing accreditation of the entire electronic media. This means we are deprived of covering not just matches, but also an Indo-Pak political event. This is infringement of media rights.”

A delegation of editors is expected to meet Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni on March 29, 2011.

As reported in a section of the press, an ICC spokesman said that non-rights holders were barred from the coverage of matches because of not adhering to the code of conduct and the media guidelines, which they had signed for accreditation.

Media reports had also stated that the non-rights holders (NRH) were given time till Monday night to give an undertaking that they would abide by the terms and conditions for media accreditation, failing which they would be disallowed to cover the event.

Also, an ICC source said that there had been a number of broadcast violations during the entire tournament and that they had repeatedly brought it to the notice of the offenders, but despite the warning they had continued to breach the guidelines, prompting the game’s governing body to take stern action.
 

Aparna Bhosle, Business Cluster Head - Premium & FTA GEC channels - ‎ZEEL, on its new property, sponsors, investment on acquisition and response to BBC First

In an interview with exchange4media, Ferzad Palia says that most successful brands are not those who spend the most money

As Milind Pathak takes over as Managing Director - Southeast Asia, Httpool, we chat with him on his new role, aspirations and his plans to aggressively penetrate the operations of the group in the Southeast Asian market

The group released the Little Hearts online-only campaign, #BreakSomeHearts, early this year and is on the path to make many more of its brands available on the digital platform

Though business has picked up, the private FM industry expects festive ad spends to be subdued compared to 2016