Impasse over coverage of the ICC World Cup 2011 by news channels continues as the meeting between International Cricket Council (ICC) officials and news broadcasters on March 31, 2011, remained inconclusive.
It is learnt that dispute remains regarding the display of scoreboards by the news channels. The ICC officials and news broadcasters are expected to have another round of meeting on April 1, 2011 to find a way out ahead of the Finals in Mumbai on April 2.
It may be recalled that on March 28, 2011, in an unexpected late night decision, the ICC had cancelled the World Cup match coverage accreditation of broadcast journalists. This meant that broadcast media of the country could not cover the remaining matches of the ICC World Cup 2011.The journalists were also deprived of attending pre- and post-match press conferences, and they could not even cover practice sessions of the teams.
The Broadcast Editors’ Association (BEA) has condemned the decision of the ICC in strong words, with Shazi Zaman, President, BEA, calling it “infringement of media rights”.
As reported earlier in a section of the press, an ICC spokesman had said that non-rights holders were barred from the coverage of matches because of not adhering to the code of conduct and the media guidelines, which they had signed for accreditation.
Media reports had also stated that the non-rights holders (NRH) were given time till Monday night to give an undertaking that they would abide by the terms and conditions for media accreditation, failing which they would be disallowed to cover the event.
Also, an ICC source said that there had been a number of broadcast violations during the entire tournament and that they had repeatedly brought it to the notice of the offenders, but despite the warning they had continued to breach the guidelines, prompting the game’s governing body to take stern action.
ICC CWC'11: ICC bans news channels from World Cup coverage