The NDTV Indian of the Year Awards are held annually to recognise Indians whose contribution to the country have strengthened the foundation of our society and helped build Brand India.
NDTV announced the winners of their seventh edition of 'Indian of the Year Awards’ in New Delhi.
The seventh edition of the awards was marked by a set of interesting panel discussions over key issues: Public Service, Elections and Business.
The panelists for the Public Service session included Aamir Khan, Aruna Roy (social activist) and S. Y. Quraishi, former Chief Election Commissioner of India while the panelists for the Business session were business czars Rahul Bajaj, Chairman of the Indian conglomerate Bajaj Group and a Member of Parliament, Rajiv Bajaj, Managing Director of Bajaj Auto, Shiv Nadar, Founder and Chairman of HCL and the Shiv Nadar Foundation and Roshni Nadar, Executive Director and the CEO of HCL Corporation.
The third and final session was the award ceremony for the Indian of the Year, presented by Prannoy Roy to the Election Commission of India; represented by seven former Chief Election Commissioners of India. The discussion with SY Quraishi, MS Gill, BB Tandon, JM Lyngdoh, Naveen Chawla, TS Krisha Murthy and N Gopalaswami was moderated by Barkha Dutt.
Also present at the ceremony were Latha Rajnikanth, Soundarya R Ashwin, Ranbir Kapoor, Deepika Padukone, Kangana Ranaut among other well known personalities from all walks of life.
The eminent awardees were:
1. Award for Public Service – PRS Legislative Research & Association for Democratic Reform
2. Business Leader of the Year – Rajiv Bajaj
3. Young Philanthropist of the Year – Roshni Nadar
4. LIC Unsung Hero – Laxmi
5. Entertainer of the Year – Deepika Padukone
6. Actor of the Year – Kangana Ranaut
7. Bollywood Youth Icon – Ranbir Kapoor
8. Technical Innovation in Film – Soundarya R. Ashwin
9. Sportsperson of the Year – P V Sindhu
10. Lifetime Achievement Award (Entertainment) – Amjad Ali Khan
11. Lifetime Achievement Award (Arts): Satish Gujral
12. Indian of the Year - The Election Commission