India Inc got together to honour the achievements of the best in Corporate India at the CNBC-TV18’s India Business Leader Awards, presented by Accenture and held in Mumbai at a well-attended ceremony on January 22. exchange4media.com was the online media partner for the event, while impact was the trade partner.
Besides the who’s who of India Inc, the event was also attended by Kamal Nath, Union Minister of Commerce and Industries, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
The winners were judged by business leaders like Mukesh Ambani, Reliance Industries Ltd (Chairperson, Jury), Kumar Mangalam Birla, Chairman, Aditya Birla Group; Deepak Parekh, Chairman, HDFC; R Seshasayee, Managing Director, Ashok Leyland; Jagdish Khattar, CMD, Carnation Auto India Pvt Ltd; and Raghav Bahl, MD, Network18.
Talking on what makes for an ideal business leader, Ambani said, “A leader has to navigate the path and protect the interests of all the stakeholders in a consistent way so that they can deliver performance on an ongoing basis.”
According to Birla, track record was important. Long term viability and sustainability of the business model was also vital.
Parekh believes that individual contribution to the company is very important, especially in troubled times like these.
Commenting on the Awards, Ajay Chacko, Director, TV18, Business Media, said, “The India Business Leader Awards are an unparalleled tribute to the excellence in business in India. The Awards have become in institution by itself and the winners epitomise strength, ingenuity, knowledge, foresight and who drive the growth of their businesses with vision and inspiration.”
The 4th CNBC-TV18 India Business Leader Awards aimed to honour those who have set shining examples to become the legends in business leadership. The winners of the 4th CNBC-TV18 India Business Leader Awards in various categories are:
• Deepak Parekh, Chairman, HDFC – Outstanding Business Leader of 2008
• Reliance Industries Ltd – Outstanding Company of the Year
• Aamir Khan – Entertainment Business Leader
• Uday Kotak – CNBC Asia’s India Business Leader of the Year Award
• Atul Punj, Chairman, Punj Lloyd – First Generation Entrepreneur of the Year
• Asian Paints – Most Promising Entrant into the Big League
• Jet Airways – Taking India Abroad! (Brand India)
• Akshay Patra – Social Enterprise of the Year
• Kamal Nath, Union Minister of Commerce and Industries – Outstanding Contribution to the Cause of Indian Business
• Keshub Mahindra, Chairman, M&M – Lifetime Achievement Award
• Lalit Modi, Chairman, IPL – CNBC-TV18’s Sport Business Leader
• Chitra Ramakrishnan, Deputy MD, NSE – CNBC-TV18’s Outstanding Woman Business Leader
• Ajay Piramal, Chairman, Piramal Healthcare – India Innovator of the Year
• Sumit Banerjee, MD, ACC Ltd – Corporate Citizen of the Year
• S Ramadorai, MD & CEO, TCS – The Talent Management Award