Top Story

e4m_logo.png

Home >> Media - TV >> Article

Company Affairs Ministry okays Sun group's DTH application

11-May-2005
Font Size   16
Company Affairs Ministry okays Sun group's DTH application

Decks are being cleared for the Sun Group to launch its direct-to-home (DTH) operations. The Ministry of Company Affairs (MCA) has given the go-ahead to the Mr Kalanidhi Maran-promoted Sun Direct TV Private Ltd's proposal.

"We were examining the proposal under the Companies Act. The findings reveal no violations of the law and we have forwarded it back to the nodal Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry," said a senior Government official. The ball is now in the I&B Ministry's court.

The proposal for starting DTH operations through a separate entity within the Sun group, under Sun Direct TV Pvt Ltd, was submitted a few months ago. Since the Maran family was making investments as individuals, questions were raised on whether the existing guidelines were being flouted.

As per the application, Mr Kalanidhi Maran held 96.67 per cent while his wife, Ms Kaveri Maran, holds the remaining 3.33 per cent. The paid-up capital is about Rs 150 crore, while the authorised capital is pegged at about Rs 200 crore. Mr Maran is also the Chairman and Managing Director of the Chennai-based Sun Group with 60 per cent stake. Since, the group owns the Sun bouquet of channels and some cable networks, there were questions on crossholding between the two entities.

According to the existing DTH guidelines, while the total foreign equity holding, including FDI/NRI/OCB/FII in the applicant company should not to exceed 49 per cent, the FDI component has been fixed at 20 per cent. Also, no cable or broadcasting company can hold more than 20 per cent equity stake in the DTH venture. Simultaneously, the applicant company is also not allowed to hold more than 20 per cent in any broadcasting or cable company.

Earlier, there were reports that the DTH application of the Maran family-promoted Sun TV appeared to have run into rough weather with the MCA finding the proposal not conforming to the guidelines.

The company, which is a dominant player in the southern market, is planning to use the DTH route to expand to other markets. According to analysts, the group is keen on controlling distribution of channels and entering DTH is viewed as an option. "It is on the verge of buying out RPG Netcom, an MSO in Kolkata, and is eyeing other cable networks to consolidate its presence," they added.

Tags

Exchange4media interacted with Jaspreet Chandok, Vice President and Head (Fashion) , IMG Reliance Pvt. Ltd on seamless brands integrations planned for Lakme Fashion Week, walking tall despite blazing trails like GST, demonetization and being a part of the larger cultural space

Their strategy to educate the consumers to make well informed decisions at all stages has worked out well.

Bobby Pawar, MD, CCO - South Asia, Publicis India, talks about his idea of chilling out

The Managing Editor of Public TV gives insights about the struggle the Kannada news channel endured during its nascent stage and what led them forward to the second position that they occupy right now in what is a rather crowded marketplace

The unveiling of the Pitch Madison Advertising Report 2018 event was held on February 15, 2018. Over the years, the report has become a benchmark in the industry. Here are some pictures from the event...

Exchange4media interacted with Jaspreet Chandok, Vice President and Head (Fashion) , IMG Reliance Pvt. Ltd on seamless brands integrations planned for Lakme Fashion Week, walking tall despite blazing...

Jake Dyson, Chief Engineer and Member of the Dyson board, spoke about the innovations and technology that they plan to bring to India