The CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 2008 awards were given away at a glittering ceremony in the Capital on February 2. Minister for External Affairs Pranab Mukherjee was the Chief Guest on the occasion, while Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee was the Guest of Honour.
The awards function was attended by eminent guests from the world of business, sports, media and the political arena. Vikram Kaushik, Atul Rai, RS Sharma, Karnam Malleshwari, Virat Kohli, Sushil Kumar, Rajyavardhan Rathore, Murali Kartik, Suhel Seth, Nitish Kumar, Jyotiraditya Scindia, and Sheila Dikshit were among the prominent people present.
Speaking on the occasion, Rajdeep Sardesai, Editor-in-Chief, IBN18 Network, said, “CNN-IBN Indian of the Year Awards recognise the outstanding contributions of Indians in various categories. This initiative is an attempt to recognise the contribution of individuals who have stood first amongst equals.”
Dilip Venkatraman, Convener, CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 2008, and CMO, IBN18 Network, said, “I am extremely delighted with how the event has shaped up. We are thankful to the Jury, our Chief Guest, Minister for External Affairs Pranab Mukherjee, Guest of Honour, Speaker of Lok Sabha, Somnath Chatterjee, winners, guests and sponsors for making this event such a success.”
Winners of the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 08 Awards include:
• CNN-IBN Indian of the Year & Public Service: G Madhavan Nair & Team Chandrayaan
• Lifetime Achievement: Dilip Kumar
• Politician of the Year: Nitish Kumar
• Sportsperson of the Year: Abhinav Bindra
• Business Person of the Year: Aditya Puri
• Entertainer of the Year: Aamir Khan
• Global Indian of the Year: AR Rahman
• Extraordinary Service to the Nation: (Late) Assistant Sub Inspector Tukaram Omble & Mumbai Police
• Special Achievement: Sheila Dikshit
The results were based on unanimous decision by a distinguished jury and public voting, who believe that the deservingness of the aforementioned should be recognised and rewarded.