The first-ever Airtel Indian News Broadcasting Awards were held in the Capital at a glittering ceremony on August 22. Presented by the exchange4media Group, the Awards honoured some of the most well-known names in Indian television for their contributions to the industry. These included Dr Prannoy Roy, Ramoji Rao, Barkha Dutt and Arnab Goswami, among others.
Airtel is the title sponsor for the Awards, while TAM Media Research and Media Guru are the knowledge partners.
Oscar Fernandes, Minister of Labour & Employment, the Chief Guest for the occasion, gave away the prizes to the winners. Fernandes said in his address, “This is the first-ever annual awards programme to recognise the people in the broadcasting industry and I am sure that these awards will continue in the years to come. Initially, I was wondering what these broadcasting awards were all about. It’s a necessary step to recognise the best people in the media and broadcasting industry for their contribution towards the growth of the nation.”
The Airtel Indian News Broadcasting Awards had 12 categories and the winners were chosen by an eminent jury panel comprising Tarun Tejpal, Editor-in-Chief, Tehelka; Dr Alok Mehta, President, Editors Guild of India and Chief Editor, Nai Dunia; Prasoon Joshi, Executive Chairman, McCann-Erickson India; Santosh Desai, CEO and Managing Director, Future Brands; Rahul Kansal, Chief Marketing Officer, BCCL; Jehangir Pocha, Editor, Businessworld; broadcast media consultant Sanjay Salil; GVL Narasimha Rao, political analyst and Managing Director of a Delhi-based research consulting firm; and Smiti Ruia Kanodia, Founder of Paprika Media.
The detailed list of the winners is as follows:
1. Daring News Videographer 2008: Rakesh Negi, CNN-IBN
2. Innovative News Producer 2008: Ravish Kumar and Devna Dwivedi, Sach ka School, NDTV India
3. Investigative News Reporter 2008: Ashish Khetan, Headlines Today
4. Intelligent News Show Host 2008: Barkha Dutt, NDTV 24x7
5. Candid 1-on-1 News Interviewer 2008: Karan Thapar, Devil’s Advocate, CNN-IBN
6. Trusted News Anchor 2008: Dr Prannoy Roy, NDTV Network
7. Creative Editor-in-Chief 2008: Arnab Goswami, Times Now
8. Young Turk 2008 (under 30): Rahul Kanwal, Headlines Today
9. Professional Change Agent 2008: Sameer Manchanda, GBN
10. Strongest Regional Language News Broadcaster 2008: Mammen Matthew, Manorama News
11. Hall of Fame for Outstanding Lifetime Achievements 2008: Ramoji Rao, E TV Network
12. Entrepreneur of the Year 2008: Aveek Sarkar, MCCS (Star News, Star Ananda, Star Majha)