News content aired on Hindi and English news channels saw major trends in the month of February, 2017, according to data shared by TAM Media Research. The analysis included Hindi news channels Aaj Tak, ABP News, India News, India TV, News Nation, and Z News; and English news channels CNN News 18, India Today, NDTV 24x7, News X, Times Now, and WION News.
1. In February, English news channels had 57 per cent of total coverage while Hindi news channels had 43 per cent share.
2. Due to assembly elections in five states, Union Budget, and political unrest in Tamil Nadu, news content in February was focused on 'Political News/Government News' genre.
3. 'Uttar Pradesh Assembly Election 2017' was the top story during Feb’17 with 32 per cent in Political News/Government News genre.
4. In Feb’17, top three stories were from 'Political News/Government News' genre and had 62 per cent share in this genre.
5. News content for Sports news genre was 141 hours in February out of which English news channels alone had 65 per cent share.
6. In Feb’17, international news content was only 6 per cent of almost 4,000 hours of total news content across 12 news channels. Among international news, the highest coverage was for 'Crime/Law & Order' genre. The top international story was ‘USA Govt Bars Refugees and Citizens of 7 Muslim Countries’.
Time Band wise Genre distribution
Political News/Government News was the top genre across news channels but the most preferred time band for this genre was 06:00 - 11:00 am. The second most covered genre Crime/Law & Order was also preferred in the same time band i.e. 06:00 - 11:00 am. English news channels did not follow any specific time band for the Social genre. However, maximum Hindi channels preferred the 21:00 - 24:00 pm time band for it. Entertainment news genre was preferred during the afternoon 14:00 - 18:00 pm time band by all Hindi news channels. Sports genre was preferred during morning and evening time band by most of the Hindi and English news channels.
The Union Budget for 2017-18 was announced on 1st February 2017 and all the news channels telecasted maximum news around the Budget in the 1st week of the month. In the second week of February, ‘Reshuffle in AIADMK Party’ was the top story. Reshuffle in the party was announced on 3rd Feb and after the resignation of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, the story was more in buzz. On English News channels, this story was the top story for the month while on Hindi News channels it had only 1 per cent of news content share. Fifty-eight per cent news content of this story was covered in the studio and 36 per cent was covered on location. In the third and fourth week, news around Uttar Pradesh Assembly Election was the top story. This story was also the top story of the month. Thirty-two per cent of coverage for this story was with on location reporting. The ‘Clash Between Two Student Group in Delhi University’ was the top story in the fifth week of February.
Top Personalities - Overall
Sasikala Natarajan with 14 per cent share was the top personality in news coverage during the month of February 2017. She was followed by O Panneerselvam with 9 per cent share. Both politicians were in news because of the ‘Reshuffle in AIADMK Party (2017)’. Prime Minister Narendra Modi was the third personality in news coverage with 7 per cent share.
Top Story – Uttar Pradesh Assembly Election 2017
This story was covered by all news channels throughout the month. The Uttar Pradesh Assembly election was held from 11th February to 8th March 2017 in seven phases. All channels covered the rallies of different political parties, in addition to discussions over their different strategies, and phase-wise polling day scenario. In Hindi news channels, this story was on top with 26 per cent share while in English News channels this story was the second top story with 9 per cent share.
In February 2017, almost 640 hours of total coverage was done across 12 news channels for Uttar Pradesh Assembly Election 2017. On 4th February, the spike is due to 'India TV’s Mega Conclave' where political leaders discussed various issues ahead of UP Assembly Election 2017. On polling days, there was peak in the coverage for the story. News channels covered political rallies, general public views and debates, and discussion over the strategies of different political parties. Thirty-two per cent news about this story was covered on location.
Top Personalities - Uttar Pradesh Assembly Election 2017
Prime Minister Narendra Modi with 22 per cent share was the top personality in news for Uttar Pradesh Assembly Election story in February 2017. He was closely followed by Akhilesh Yadav with 21 per cent share.