Top Story


Home >> Media - Radio >> Article

Indigo to host ‘Vodafone Battle of the Bands’

Font Size   16
Indigo to host ‘Vodafone Battle of the Bands’

Bangalore’s only international music station Indigo, formerly Radio Indigo, is planning to roll out its first edition of a battle of amateur corporate bands christened ‘Vodafone Battle of the Bands’.

The event is focussed on tapping amateur talent in the corporate sector and giving them a platform to perform.

Suresh Sanyasi, National Sales Director, Indigo talks about the aim and idea behind such an event. “We decided to host this event because there are a lot of good bands in Bangalore who would like a stage. We wanted to identify this kind of talent which is very close to Indigo and the kind of music we play. There are a lot of amateur bands, corporates who are passionate about music, and would like a stage to perform. So, this event’s objective is to give people, who sit in their cubicles for 10-12 hours a day, a chance to step out by providing them a platform to showcase their talent and also awarding them money for it.”

The competition will be held across the city in five prominent tech parks within an interval of a week each. The winning band will be chosen from among these five during the finale on January 19, 2012. The competition will see the winning band awarded a prize of more than Rs 1 lakh.

Indigo is currently in talks with Vodafone regarding the terms of engagement with the winning band. The station is also considering whether it would include a song recording deal, a couple of gigs around the city or country, or headlining an event.

Trigam Mukherjee, Artist and Repertoire, Indigo elaborated on channels opted to inform their TG about the event. “We’re very strong on the social network as we’ve noticed that our TG that listens to Indigo – bands and corporates – is very strong on social media. Our website, Facebook and Twitter pages are very strong unlike those of other local radio stations. Our advertising is primarily done through Indigo since 90 per cent of people working out of tech parks listen to the station. We are targeting the remaining 10 per cent through social media, on-ground/BTL activities, kiosks, posters, fliers, etc. On-ground activities will take off in each tech park eight days prior to the event. We have also tied up with each tech park to send out direct mailers to their employees. Promotions for the event have already begun.”

In terms of outreach, Sanyasi estimates that they will be targeting a minimum of 12-15 lakh people. “Our on-ground activations will only take this number up two-fold. So, keeping in mind the Indigo connect, around 20-25 lakh will know about it. For instance, RMZ alone will be sending out our emailers to more than 10 lakh people,” he said.

“We are merely leveraging the already-established connect that Indigo has with the TG by giving them an opportunity to make music and let others listen to them,” concluded Sanyasi.

NP Singh, CEO of Sony Pictures Networks India, talks of SPN’s growth drivers, pay wall for content, sharing IP and more…

The future of the industry will be 1:1 advertising as traditional channels, like television, become more addressable: Bryan Kennedy, Epsilon

The Founder of Pocket Aces shared his insights on how the consumption of content has evolved and how digital media is growing as the preferred medium of entertainment.

The production house has already established itself as the leader in the non-scripted genres. However, Rege now wants Endemol to achieve the same in the original scripted zone and film production

A look at the South Indian movies which boosted the viewership of certain channels in week 45 (November 4-10)

The Indian advertising industry currently stands at Rs. 56,398 crore, predicted to grow at a rate of 14 per cent by 2017

Naidu also talks about the ushering in of a new era of digital payments and says this is just the beginning and there’s lots of space for newer players to step in and evolve