Dainik Bhaskar has launched the new content re-engineered newspaper on January 16, 2011 in all its territories. This new content mix across the pages of the newspaper is a result of extensive research and analysis by cross-member teams. These teams worked for the past three months extensively, recreating and testing the content mix.
Speaking on this new avatar of the newspaper, Yatish Rajawat, Group Managing Editor, Dainik Bhaskar Group, said, “The findings of this research were very interesting and opened the minds of people. It has in many ways influenced the re-launch of the newspaper in this new content avatar. The research magnified the changed newspaper reading habits.”
He further said that the research not only helped them read into the changes of past few years, but also provide indicative directions towards how they could expect them to evolve in coming times. How the readers’ eyes have got used to absorbing content and information and how the newspaper needs to adjust to it to ensure that it remained relevant. “Watching the small screen like mobile and large screen like TV has forced people to read at a different pace and they are getting used to it. Especially the younger generation, hence the way content is presented has become more important,” noted Rajawat.
He added, “Dainik Bhaskar as a leader has made a revolutionary change, moving away from competition to focus on the reader. The reader will drive the content, quality and the size of it will be closely dependent on his needs.”
This is one of the biggest activities by the group. More than 5,400 man hours of planning went into this effort. Once the framework was aligned and established to the group’s satisfaction and successfully passed readers’ filter, teams across the centre were trained. This involved more than 3,150 hours of training.
To identify the needs of the readers a cross functional team carried out the research. At every stage fresh dummies of newspaper were used for understanding reader interaction, interest and involvement.
The significant elements of this initiative include:
• Focus of the change is not on the design of the product, but on ‘content’.
• The changes have been initiated through extensive research and recommendations by cross-functional groups of journalists and non-journalists.
• The entire editorial leadership team led by State Editors, and supported by National Editor and Managing Editor has been involved in co-developing the new product.
• Every section of the new product has a central resource assigned from editorial who shall be the SPOC for this initiative.
• For the first time, almost 500 people from the reporting teams and desk heads of all key editions were called to Bhopal for specific workshops for each section to ensure proper training and successful execution.
• The change is also accompanied by a new version of the editorial software (Matrix) to ensure better technology support in reporting.
• A new team of product managers has been formed at each state, which shall work closely with the state editors, the national editor and provide constant feedback to make continuous improvements in the product.
• Sunday Bhaskar has been revamped, and for the first time the newspaper will be using a unique cover story style to present stories. This will have a unique feature in terms of design and layout with a special jacket for content and not for an advertisement. This will differentiate the weekend edition from other weekdays and competition.
• There are special features in Sunday’s edition providing the reader with reading material of his interest in an interesting manner, making it that more readable and hence, the reader more knowledgeable.
• City Bhaskar is one of the largest city-based supplements with a unique reader base of youngsters and women. The design, layout and even the typography has been changed to reflect its content, giving it a refreshing character and enriching it in terms TG reading needs.
• For the main edition, the way a reader needs and now interacts (reads) the local news has changed, hence city reporting has been given a new dimension, giving it a fresh approach on content, which shall enhance the quality of reporting in this section. The result: better reader comfort and stronger connect.