The Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF), at its ninth Annual General Meeting held on September 16, elected the Board of Directors for the year 2008-09. The newly-formed IBF board has elected Jawahar Goel as President of IBF for the third consecutive year. Perhaps the only other President in IBF’s history who had managed to continue as President for a significant period was KS Sarma, who was then with Prasar Bharti.
NDTV’s KVL Narayan Rao and I Venkat continue to be Vice-President and Treasurer of IBF, respectively. This is the second year that Rao has been elected to this post. Venkat has been IBF Treasurer for quite a few years now.
The IBF members that were elected to the Board include Baljit Singh Lalli, CEO, Prasar Bharti; Chintamani Rao, CEO, Times Global Broadcasting; G Krishnan, CEO & Executive Director, TV Today; Kunal Dasgupta, CEO, Multi Screen Media; Paritosh Joshi, President-Distribution & Ad Sales, STAR India; and RC Venkateish, Managing Director, ESPN Software India.
The members that the Board co-opted include Haresh Chawla, CEO, Network18; Peter Mukerjea, Chief Strategy Officer, INX Media; and Rajat Sharma, Chairman, India TV.
Goel stated that one of the key tasks that lay ahead of IBF was to own the ratings system in India and make the Broadcasters Audiences Research Council (BARC) operational. He said, “The members of IBF are otherwise very fierce competitors. However, when we are sitting together as IBF, we are all working together for a common goal of doing something for the betterment of the Indian broadcasting industry. We work as a united operation, where there are no ego clashes or rank issues. This is one of the biggest strengths of IBF.”
The new members of the IBF Board are:
1. Jawahar Goel, Zee TV
2. KVL Narayan Rao, CEO & Executive Director, NDTV
3. I Venkat, Director, Eenadu TV
4. Baljit Singh Lalli, CEO, Prasar Bharti
5. Chintamani Rao, CEO, Times Global Broadcasting
G Krishnan, CEO & Executive Director, TV Today
6. Kunal Dasgupta, CEO, Multi Screen Media
7. Mahesh Prasad, Council Director, Sahara India
8. Markand Adhikari, Vice Chairman & Managing Director, Sri Adhikari Bros
9. Paritosh Joshi, President-Distribution & Ad Sales, STAR India
10. RC Venkateish, Managing Director, ESPN Software India
11. Uday Shankar, CEO, STAR India