In the ongoing telecast row between BCCI and Zee Telefilms, Chennai High Court on Monday granted stay on the appeal by Zee Telefilms, restraining BCCI from any action on re-biding until the next hearing scheduled for April 20.
The Madras High Court in its judgment on March 21 ruled that Zee could sue BCCI over the row of cricket telecast rights. It also questioned the biased role that Jagmohan Dalmiya played in acting against Zee Telefilms. The judgment clarified that the cancellation of the contract by BCCI was inappropriate and Zee could claim damages from BCCI.
"However since the judgment did not restore the rights to Zee Telefilms, we approached the bench of Chennai High Court seeking a stay on any kind of re-tendering or re-bidding by BCCI," said Ashish Kaul, VP-Corporate Brand Development, Zee Telefilms.
The court has granted a stay on the said judgment and has ruled that BCCI cannot take any action on re-tendering or re-bidding process until the next hearing on April 20.
Zee Telefilms, a few days back, sent a notice claiming damages worth Rs 1,630 crore from BCCI and its former president, Jagmohan Dalmia, for the cancellation of telecast rights awarded to it in September 2004.
At the same time, Zee Telefilms has reiterated its offer to resolve the crisis amicably. "We are offering to BCCI to find an amicable solution to the crisis. We want to invite the board to form a committee that can jointly consider the matter in order to arrive at an agreed figure so that further costs and expenses are saved," said Kaul.
"BCCI has not acknowledged anything till now. We will have to take them to court if there is no response till a week. All judgments so far have been in favour of Zee and we are hopeful for April 20 as well," he added.