The storm over the release of Bahubali 2 - The Conclusion in Karnataka has abated with actor Sathyaraj apologising for his comments made nine years ago about the Cauvery water dispute.
The actor apologised for his comments and said he is not against Karnataka or Kannadigas. He added that he will continue to fight for the issues of the Tamils, be it Sri Lanka, Cauvery or farmers’ rights.
Pro-Kannada groups had threatened the release of Bahubali 2 - The Conclusion in Karnataka and said that they would not allow the movie to release in the state unless Sathyaraj, who plays Kattappa in the film, apologised.
The actor was given time until April 28 to apologise, barring which, the activists led by Vattal Nagaraj had threatened to shut down Bangalore to mark their protest.
The groups have now cleared the film’s release following the apology from the actor, according to media reports.
Sathyaraj had supported the demand of Tamil farmers to release Cauvery water back in 2008. A video of his public speech at a solidarity rally had surfaced on social media channels earlier this week, sparking the protests against the actor and movie.
The second part of SS Rajamouli’s epic blockbuster is one of the most-awaited movies of 2017 and Karnataka is one of the major markets for the film.
Director Rajamouli appealed to the protesters through a video he shared on Twitter and reasoned with them to consider the plight of the entire crew of the movie which has worked very hard to make the movie.
Interestingly, Bahubali - The Beginning was released in the state in 2015 without any controversy.