ESPNcricinfo is adding on to the cricket fervour this IPL, with a bouquet of content covering every aspect of all the games along with new, fun and exclusive original video programming to bring the game closer to Indian fans.
ESPNcricinfo will offer flagship ‘game around the game programming’ through “Match Day T20” featuring comprehensive opinions, analysis and, insights. Aired on ESPNcricinfo digital platforms, the shows will feature some of the most respected voices in cricket, including Brad Hogg, Ajit Agarkar and ESPN’s very own Gaurav Kalra and Raunak Kapoor.
Besides this there will also be exclusive video shows, ‘Both Ends’, ‘Run Order’, ‘On The Road’.
In addition, ESPNcricinfo’s comprehensive coverage of the IPL will include comprehensive updates of the match through scores and stats, news, match reports and special features including The IPL Top 10, ESPNcricinfo’s All-Time IPL XI, The Weekly IPL list, The Play-a-like challenge, and the 5th season of the popular CricIQ quiz, amongst others.
Sambit Bal, Editor-in-chief, ESPNcricinfo, India and South Asia, said, “This year’s IPL auction has already given us a series of surprises, and continues to look more promising by the day. With credible voices, lot of laughs, strong opinions, sharp insights and the strengths of a global network, we are thrilled to bring millions of Indian fans the very best coverage of the IPL and we’re excited to have an insightful expert like Brad Hogg help us do that.”
Ramesh Kumar, Vice President, Head of ESPN India and South Asia, said, “ESPNcricinfo’s comprehensive coverage of all things cricket across platforms reflect our endeavour of serving our fans anywhere, anytime. The content line-up for this season strives to provide an unparalleled experience, offering our millions of fans a mix of both a serious and lighter side of the tournament. With video consumption growing steadily in the last 18 months, we have especially beefed up our original video content offerings for all kinds of fans this season. We have lined up more than a dozen premium sponsors for this season who see value in associating with this most comprehensive digital coverage beyond just score updates as done by most players in the market.”
Original ESPNcricinfo video programmes for the IPL Season include:
• ESPNcricinfo Match Day T20 (LIVE, 7:30 p.m. Daily): Started on April 5, ESPNcricinfo Match Day T20 will be live at 7:30 p.m. every day on the ESPNcricinfo digital platforms.
Hosts Gaurav Kalra (Senior Editor, ESPNcricinfo) and Raunak Kapoor will be joined by Brad Hogg (former Australian all-rounder), Ajit Agarkar (former Indian pacer bowler) and Sanjay Bangar (former Indian all-rounder and current Batting Coach of the Indian Cricket Team).
ESPNcricinfo Match Day provides fans ESPN’s trademark game around the game analysis format with credible voices, strong opinions, sharp insights, and riveting statistics.
A Match Day Preview for upcoming matches and a Post-Match Report will also be available every day. Segments from ESPNcricinfo Match Day T20 will also be offered to global audiences on ESPN digital properties around the world.
Statsguru, a stats based segment will also be part of Match Day T20 that highlights an interesting stat about the tournament, players/team performance that is helping shape the league and its outcome. It will give fans an edge in understanding the game and being more credible whilst making a water cooler argument.
• Runorder with Cyrus Broacha (Every Tuesday): ESPNcricinfo brings Run Order, a juicy bite of the sports world through the eyes of analysts and producers of ESPN with Cyrus Broacha. It promises to play on the light and humorous discussions around some of the most burning issues of IPL. Run Order is ESPNcricinfo’s Page 3 which aims to remain credible in terms of the news it throws out, despite the inherent gossip-quotient of the show. Whilst having a behind the scenes feel, it will be quick and slick, keeping fans entertained and coming back for more.
• Both Ends (Daily): Not surprisingly, Both Ends examines two opposing viewpoints on the major topics of the day in an unique debate format – with both views represented by the two sides of the same host. The debates provide a light-hearted, but smart examination of the topics of the day and gets to the heart of the matter.
• On The Road (Weekly): Join Melinda Farell and Arya Yuyutsu with ESPNcricinfo On The Road as they travel across the country on an unique IPL pilgrimage capturing the various sights and sounds of the tournament and the nation it engages. On The Road is part travel series and part feature storytelling, providing fans a unique viewpoint on the IPL.
Further ESPNcricinfo IPL Coverage
In addition to the video programming, ESPNcricinfo will feature extensive news coverage, scores, ball-by-ball commentary and special features throughout the IPL season, including:
• IPL All-Time XI – ESPNcricinfo released an all-time Test XI in 2011 after an extensive selection process and it received widespread attention from the cricket world and the media. It is still considered the definitive all-time XI because of the research done and the pedigree of the experts who chose it. In the 10th season of the IPL, ESPNcricinfo is now compiling an all-time IPL XI. This time, the selection process will be a combination of fan voting and selection by a panel of experts that include several ex-cricketers. The final IPL XI will be released at the end of the tournament.
• Enhanced match previews and reports – ESPNcricinfo will feature match previews and reports for every game, with a new enhanced format that best captures the crucial moments and contests in Twenty20 games. With its wealth of statistics, ESPNcricinfo will also offer analysis & Insights into the games, helping fans understand why certain players and teams are doing well and why some aren’t.
• The weekly IPL List – Along with exciting cricket, the IPL throws up plenty of comic moments and controversies – which will be explored in a humorous weekly IPL list.
• IPL Top 5 – Follow the top performances with ESPNcricinfo’s very own real-time listicles of top IPL milestones every day.
• Play-a-like Challenge – Every cricket fan has at some stage imitated their favorite star. Based on this premise, ESPNcricinfo is inviting fans to send in videos of how they imitate their favourite IPL stars and will be featuring the best ones on the site.
• CricIQ Season 5 – CricIQ is back, with Season 5 of the popular quiz in May 2017.