Flipkart has unveiled #FlipTrends2015, a comprehensive and in-depth view into how India shops online. This study across 50 million Indian shoppers analyses consumer buying preferences between January 1st and December 14th, 2015 and offers a detailed analysis into what trends dominate the online retail space today.
Commenting on this, Ankit Nagori, Chief Business Officer of Flipkart said, “2015 is truly the year of the digital Indian consumer. The data taken from FlipTrends, an analysis of over 50 million registered Flipkart shoppers in 2015, shows that Indians are taking to shopping online at a very fast clip. What is particularly gratifying to note is that Flipkart is taking the lead in introducing the ease and convenience of online shopping to millions of Indians in Tier-2, Tier-3 towns, and in rural areas. We continue to stay committed to fulfilling our goal of transforming commerce through technology in the coming years.”
Some highlights of the survey:
· Electronic accessories, mobile, lifestyle accessories & women apparel are consistently the top performing categories across all regions.
· The study shows that 69% of the online shoppers are male, this gender clearly dominates the online retail space
· While Delhi NCR emerges as the most e-commerce savvy metro, Southern India has a significant presence with Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai featuring among the top 5 cities that shop the most online along with Delhi NCR and Mumbai
· Among the Tier-1 cities, Pune is the leader followed by Coimbatore, Ahmedabad and Lucknow. Bhubaneshwar is the only city from East India to feature in this list.
· Mangalore has emerged as the top Tier-2 city of digital Indian shoppers followed by Mysore. The hill town of Dehradun is third in the list followed by Salem in Tamil Nadu and Guntur in Andhra Pradesh.
· The e-retail space is largely dominated by consumers falling between the 25-34 years age group. More than half of the consumers shopping online are office goers closely followed by students
Rising mobile internet penetration and availability of a wide variety of brands and products at affordable prices across the country at the touch of a mobile screen have truly made 2015 the year of e-commerce in India. According to #FlipTrends2015, electronics and mobiles have emerged as the top performing categories. Delhi NCR tops the chart as the most online shopping savvy city in India, closely followed by Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai and Hyderabad.