The Global Mobile ecosystem has grown immensely in the last few years. Mobile app development is a thriving industry with huge scope for aspiring developers. Smartphones have brought with them smarter consumers, who have adopted apps to become integral part of their lifestyle. Considering that, many developers have been able to innovate across mobile devices and operating systems to create entrepreneurial avenues, which have scaled their business faster. This opens up great opportunities for developers to build great products that can reshape the way people use technology.
However, developing such apps is a herculean task for the developers, where they have to figure out ways to integrate crucial app developed lifecycle services such as ad monetisation, analytics, bug tracking and in-app purchases. The Mobile App Developer Survey 2013 by Vserv.mobi showcases some insightful data with interesting stats and trends about app development while highlighting preferred platforms and development tools.
The top findings include:
• Three quarters of app developers have been in the industry for less than three years, thus making this a young, but growing industry
• App developers that enter this business primarily adopt the Android OS. Once they gain foothold, they start embracing other platforms.
• Indie developers happen to focus more on the Entertainment category, multimedia apps and games; while business and finance is the most outsourced category to an app development services company.
• Digitisation and monetisation of apps are two of biggest challenges faced by app developers.
• Since social media integration allows deeper engagement and brand amplification of the app, 90 per cent of app developers are exploring ways to achieve that.
App developers in the business for:
• Less than six months account for 11 per cent
• Six months or year account for 18 per cent
• One year to three years account for 43 per cent
• More than three years account for 28 per cent
Almost 3/4th of the developers have been in the business for less than three years.
84 per cent independent developers face distribution challenges.
82 per cent Game/ App development companies face monetisation challenges.
Social Media Integration
90 per cent app developers are integrating or planning to integrate social network within an app.
App Development Business Models
47 per cent are Indie Developers
25 per cent are App/Game companies
27 per cent App Development Services
62 per cent of app developers favour Android for their first year.