Jury Member of Titanium and Integrated Lions
Founder, Chief Creative Officer, TapRoot India
Five things that Agnello Dias looks forward to as a Cannes Juror
1) Every time I'm on the jury I end up making friends with somebody who had done a great campaign that I admired in the past but had never got down to finding out whose mind was behind it. Then when we end up reliving that campaign, it is like, “Oh, you're the guy who did that? Hmmm! Wow!” I look forward to finding more such friends this year.
2) We have the creative equivalent of name dropping – which is campaign dropping – every time we come back from Cannes. “Did you know what these guys in Budapest came up with....?” I love coming back armed with all such trivia and look forward to more.
3) “Man all of you Indian guys are really shaking it up, aren't you?” Like to hear that, been hearing it for the last few years and it feel great because we never used to hear it before. It used to be, “So what's been up in your part of the world?”
4) The Times of India's India Party.
5) Meeting good friends who have worked with me before from across the world. We once used to cheer on the same team; feels nice and warm to meet up with them again.
More on Dias...
Agnello Dias is the Chief Creative Officer and Founder of TapRoot India.
He began his advertising career in 1989 with a young, hungry local Mumbai agency and has waded through a sea of advertising agencies and brand case histories since hitting the big league after being conferred the prestigious Copywriter of the Year award by the Advertising Agencies Association of India. He led Leo Burnett India to its first ever Global Agency of the Year recognition in the Leo Burnett network. And went on to make history by winning India’s first and only Grand Prix, plus the first and only Lion in the Titanium and Integrated category for the country. He has also won multiple Grands Prix awards at Spikes Asia for Teach India and a host of local awards.
Today, he ranks among the top creative names in Asia and among the most influential figures in Indian advertising, featuring in almost every award book from Cannes Lions, the One Show, and the Clio Awards to the D&AD and ADFEST.
In January 2009, he founded Taproot India Communications, which ranks among the Cannes Lions top 20 independent agencies in the world. He went on to pick up the Communicator of the Decade Award and became the first ever advertising person to be crowned the Impact Person of the Year in India.
The Titanium and Integrated Lions category has eight jury members apart from Jury President, Rob Reilly, Worldwide Chief Creative Officer, Crispin Porter + Bogusky.