eMarketer and Starcom MediaVest Group (SMG) have jointly released a new report that establishes a credible dataset for brands to use to more effectively penetrate emerging and mature global media markets.
The ‘2010 Global Media Intelligence’ (GMI) report covers six major regions worldwide – Asia-Pacific, Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa, North America, and Latin America – and delves into 29 countries identified as core target markets.
The report includes digital and total media advertising spending trends from 2009 through 2014, along with detailed data on demographics, broadband and mobile penetration, media usage, and consumer behavior in each region.
“I am excited to have the Global Media Intelligence report for my reference library,” said Robert Dees, Purchasing Group Manager of North American Media & Marketing at Procter & Gamble. “I have only had it one day and have already used it in a meeting to help inform next year’s strategy.”
Key findings include:
• The global recession sped up the shift of marketing dollars to digital in large developing markets such as China, India and Brazil.
• Asia-Pacific will eventually surpass North America as the world’s biggest advertising market soon after 2014.
• While the Middle East and Africa only receive 2.9 per cent of total media spending worldwide, the $14 billion in spending estimated this year represents growth of 11.4 per cent, the fastest of any major region in the world.
• Online ad spending in Latin America – though small compared to more mature regions – will more than double over the next four years, growing from $2 billion in 2010 to $4.2 billion in 2014.
• The aging of the large UK Internet audience could be an early indicator of a trend that could lead to greater internet penetration throughout Western Europe.
• The disparate Internet adoption rates throughout emerging regions like Central and Eastern Europe will make mobile an attractive option to marketers.
“We are in the business of creating uplifting human experiences that are inspired by real-world, real-time insights. Credible data that provides solid understanding and reliable trending for emerging and dynamic markets is critical,” said Laura Desmond, Global CEO, Starcom MediaVest Group. “We’re thrilled to partner with eMarketer to bring global digital forecasting and consumer trends to our clients as a meaningful, valuable investment compass.”
SMG helped identify and gather data for local and core global markets included in the report, which eMarketer then compared and analysed against other research sources to form its estimates.
“This approach of aggregation and analysis, we believe, has yielded a far more accurate and objective picture of the international marketplace than any single research source,” Desmond said in a joint statement with eMarketer CEO and Co-founder Geoff Ramsey.
The two companies hope the report will help marketers more effectively plan their marketing mixes, allocate budget toward digital channels and identify consumer trends in emerging markets, the statement said.
“The key questions that marketers and advertisers are asking right now are global,” Ramsey said, adding, “As more consumers move toward digital platforms worldwide, there’s a real need to establish authoritative estimates for emerging digital markets in India, China, Africa and countries in Latin America for both traditional and digital marketing channels.”